PDA

View Full Version : Is Detailing EVOLVING ?

Pages : [1] 2

Miami_Sunset
12-02-2005, 11:31 PM
i notice more and more are using Quick Detailer`s, QEW, waterless wash, SPray wax, spray sealants etc.. Im beginning to think we want the easy way out. :yes:

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 11:38 PM
i notice more and more are using Quick Detailer`s, QEW, waterless wash, SPray wax, spray sealants etc.. Im beginning to think we want the easy way out. :yes:That`s probably true to some extent.
One thing that has evolved is the products. I`ve been messing with cars a long time and the products of today would have been considered magic in the old days.
Today, a person with any ability at all can turn out a good looking vehicle. Obviously, those with more skill turn out some unbelieveable vehicles.
Years ago, even the most skilled had a tough time matching the average good job of today.
The really talented ones can turn out good jobs with any product, great jobs with the good products. The rest of us can turn out more than acceptable work with the good products we have at hand.
Having done the car care thing both ways, I like easy!

Charles

Jngrbrdman
12-02-2005, 11:38 PM
All I smell is the death of carnauba...

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 11:42 PM
All I smell is the death of carnauba...Maybe, but even the Carnauba waxes are far better than they were years ago.
Try the old Simoniz paste and then use some S100.
The Simoniz used to be a 4 hour job, the S100 is probably 20 minutes or less. (Even for me:))

Charles

mgm2003
12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
That`s probably true to some extent.
One thing that has evolved is the products. I`ve been messing with cars a long time and the products of today would have been considered magic in the old days.
Today, a person with any ability at all can turn out a good looking vehicle. Obviously, those with more skill turn out some unbelieveable vehicles.
Years ago, even the most skilled had a tough time matching the average good job of today.
The really talented ones can turn out good jobs with any product, great jobs with the good products. The rest of us can turn out more than acceptable work with the good products we have at hand.
Having done the car care thing both ways, I like easy!

Charles

So true Charles... I`ve been at this for over 15 years ( do the math.... that`s less than a third of your age -ha ha), and the products really are much better.

I`m just kiddng with you Charles (but the product really are getting better)..

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 11:56 PM
So true Charles... I`ve been at this for over 15 years ( do the math.... that`s less than a third of your age -ha ha), and the products really are much better.

I`m just kiddng with you Charles (but the product really are getting better)..Actually, it`s less than 1/4 my age. Waaay less. :)

Charles

Mikeyc
12-03-2005, 12:02 AM
All I smell is the death of carnauba...
Almost every detailing post I read says: put XXX sealant on toped with XXX wax. So, it would seem to me that wax is selling at least as well as any sealant. Long live carnauba!!! :yes:

mgm2003
12-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Again.... your sense of humor has me rolling.

Have a good night Charles!

CharlesW
12-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Almost every detailing post I read says: put XXX sealant on toped with XXX wax. So, it would seem to me that wax is selling at least as well as any sealant. Long live carnauba!!! :yes:Maybe even better.
I think most sealant/wax users will put on several applications of wax between applications of the sealant.

Charles

Brenton
12-03-2005, 08:16 AM
I`m a small detail shop. 90% of my customers pay for a Sealant upgrade for $5 ($20 upgrade for Klasse Sealant Glaze; $40 upgrade for Liquid Glass, but few get that). The only customers that use Carnauba are funeral home operators (layers of Souveran), and seasonal fleets. Of course, I layer it on everytime I have an hour or two.

Edit: I don`t trust spray waxes. The liquid sealant is a step for me. I like paste the most, though the PB`s liquid sealants are my most used product.

Jngrbrdman
12-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Almost every detailing post I read says: put XXX sealant on toped with XXX wax. So, it would seem to me that wax is selling at least as well as any sealant. Long live carnauba!!! :yes:

You`ve been here for two months. Read a few more posts and you might revise that statement.

There are reasons people layer carnauba on top of sealants. One reason is that they just can`t break the habit. I layered carnauaba over wolfgang for awhile until I realized that it actually looks better without the wax. The other reason they do it is because not all sealants have evloved to the point where a wax topper isn`t necessary. Klasse shine is so sterile that it needs a carnauba topper to take the edge off. The only reason wax is used at all when a sealant is being used is for appearance. When the sealants evolve and take care of the protection and the appearance then people won`t need waxes anymore. Wolfgang is a good model for that.

bigron62
12-03-2005, 10:04 AM
i still like carnuba for some jobs like dark cars or red so my big thing is ease of application and easy removal and its way easier then it used to be years ago. im also a fan of gel tire dressing

Jngrbrdman
12-03-2005, 10:20 AM
That`s interesting because I usually grab a sealant because its easier to apply than a wax. Not many waxes that look as good as a sealant can be applied by a PC like sealants can. Even fewer will be able to protect or look as good.

Mikeyc
12-03-2005, 10:33 AM
You`ve been here for two months. Read a few more posts and you might revise that statement.
I may have only been on this website for two months. However, I`ve been reading other detailing websites, reading the detailing forum on my owner`s club website, and talking to detailing enthusiasts much much longer than that. So, I don`t really intend on revising my statement. While DC is a great website, it is not the only place one can interact with other detailing enthusiasts and gain detailing knowledge.

Anyway, I personally feel like carnauba and sealant are like ketchup and mustard. Ketchup and mustard are both condiments and they both make your food taste better and they taste great when used together. However, just because there is now honey mustard which is great that doesn`t mean ketchup is going away.

I have never used a sealant on my personal car only on the cars of friends & family and only because of durability. I am willing to put more effort and time into my own car so I use what I feel gives me the best look and that`s carnauba.

There are a lot of factors which go into choosing an LSP such as durability, depth of shine, gloss, ease of application, brand preference, and price. I`ve probably even missed a few factors. There is no such thing as one LSP which is the best for everyone. There is only the LSP which is best for you and your preferences.

tguil
12-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I`m not quite up there with Charles, but I`m close. I`ll take easy any day. My first experience with heavy duty obsessive detailing involved using Cadillac Blue Coral polish and wax on my brand spanking new 1961 Covair Monza. It was quite a job even on a small car. A two step process. Both steps a PIB. Since then I`ve messed with about every product that has come out. Right now I`m pretty much sticking with NXT and a pc. It doesn`t get much easier. :D

Tom :cool: