PDA

View Full Version : pc 7424xp, finally was able to test mine out

jose206
10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I got it yesterday and was starting to wonder if maybe I should have gone for griots garage upgraded polisher. After having used my xp today on an audi and a couple jettas, I must say I am very pleased with the results I could achieve with just one step, hologram free and was able to do light correction. I think the average person wouldn`t really feel a need to do more after using that combo. The cars were new but had a few light swirls/scratches/water spots. I used m105 and purple foamed wool pads. I used an orange kompressor pad and 3m compound on a small area, that too did a fine job. All my pads were 6.5in and backing plate was 5in... I think that might have caused my pads to wear a little faster on the back part where the velcro part is. Anyone else used pfw along with an aggressive compound? I liked using the xp without the handle, I find this to be a little less numbing on my hand at speed 6. I read something about the machine bogging down somewhere cant remember...I couldn`t tell a difference when I tried applying allot of pressure at speed 6, kept going strong for me. All 3 cars were black, I did finish up on some areasa with a black kompressor pad. With the power this machine has I really dont see a need to buy the griots da anymore. Next step up for me would probably be a rotary and edge wool pads. I dont like how my rotary leaves holograms so Im probably going to try to stay away from it whenever I can.

BigAl3
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
IMO, you can`t go wrong with the PC ...

Cleaning Fool
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
No, I would not take Griots over a PC, nor would I take Meguiars or the UDM for that matter. Stick with what works and is proven reliable. Remember what the PC is. You are not going to get PFW to perform with a PC like it will on a rotary. Also, I don`t like the PC at all with 6.5 inch pads, 5.5 maximum, 4 inch for the most correction possible.

Legacy
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Just got my Griot DA and three passes and it died!!!

Cleaning Fool
10-10-2009, 08:43 PM
See what I mean boys and girls.

Legacy
10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
See what I mean boys and girls.But, I`ve had a PC die on me too.:cry:

jose206
10-10-2009, 09:01 PM
how does the warranty on an xp work, I bought it two weeks used from a member off this forum. Would I need his receipt for the machine? he purchased it from david, it came with a sonus kit.

BigAl3
10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Delta Machinery|Porter-Cable (http://www.deltaportercable.com/ServiceAndSupport/Warranties.aspx)

jose206
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Im waiting to order some of those 5.5 pads, maybe the 4in also. Thanks for the info al, anyone know if I still need a receipt? invoice?

BigAl3
10-10-2009, 10:17 PM
SoCalB6 has a bunch of pads for a good price...

http://www.autopia.org/module-Classified-viewarticle-850.html

ToadWart
10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
vibration any less on the xp?

Accumulator
10-11-2009, 10:45 AM
But, I`ve had a PC die on me too..

Same here, and Griot`s has a nice replacement policy.

Still, I`m glad jose206 is happy with his XP.

jose206- Yeah, the M105/PFW combo works well on Audi clear, though I do best with 4" pads on my (pre-XP) PC.

Yeah, I too ditched the side handle :xyxthumbs

Generally, I`d match the backing plate to the pad a little closer- having a 1.5" difference *is* gonna be hard on the pads and even a 1" diff is a bit much. Backing plates are pretty cheap, and I keep a few different ones on hand to match with various pads. There are different types of plates (rigid, flexible, etc.) so look around and see what you might like to try.