PDA

View Full Version : Sealant Over Wax?

Daniel3507
10-10-2009, 06:23 PM
what would happen if i were to put my blackfire wet diamond over some liquid souveran i put on a few weeks ago? i washed with ONR and then did one wipe down of IPA. trying to remove old wax is my least favorite thing to do because the IPA didnt seem like it didn`t do anything because the truck is still really slick and my finger doesn`t squeak on it. would applying it over the wax do anything negative for the looks or durability?

imported_Jakerooni
10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
well you always want sealant to touch the paint. The good news on it is souveran has a very short durabilty range so after a couple of weeks most of it os probably already gone. But if you can`t get it all off it really shouldn`t hurt too much at this point in time. it`s not like paint sealant is some sort of permanant thing. You always have to reapply it too. It just last longer than your basic waxes do.

Legacy
10-10-2009, 08:41 PM
what would happen if i were to put my blackfire wet diamond over some liquid souveran i put on a few weeks ago? i washed with ONR and then did one wipe down of IPA. trying to remove old wax is my least favorite thing to do because the IPA didnt seem like it didn`t do anything because the truck is still really slick and my finger doesn`t squeak on it. would applying it over the wax do anything negative for the looks or durability?

Can`t believe that IPA would not take off LS. What strength is your IPA?

Daniel3507
10-11-2009, 07:08 AM
91%. i forgot what i diluted it down too. technique maybe? im just spraying it on and wiping it off right after

Accumulator
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
91%. i forgot what i diluted it down too. technique maybe? im just spraying it on and wiping it off right after

Maybe you diluted it too much. And I`d let it dwell before wiping it off, especially if you`re using it diluted.

Putting sealant over wax often leads to a mess where the sealant smears and has pseudo-holograms because it "floats" on top of the wax, never really bonding.

Daniel3507
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
i went ahead and did another wipedown and this time let it dwell a little and it seemed to do the trick. was able to get my BFWD on no problems. not as slick as i was expecting but im doing another coat tomorrow

Legacy
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
i went ahead and did another wipedown and this time let it dwell a little and it seemed to do the trick. was able to get my BFWD on no problems. not as slick as i was expecting but im doing another coat tomorrowBFWD is one of the slickest sealants on the market. Dunno how you are judging slickness.:werd:

efnfast
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
well you always want sealant to touch the paint. The good news on it is souveran has a very short durabilty range so after a couple of weeks most of it os probably already gone. But if you can`t get it all off it really shouldn`t hurt too much at this point in time. it`s not like paint sealant is some sort of permanant thing. You always have to reapply it too. It just last longer than your basic waxes do.

Actually liquid soverign has been adding polycharger for a while - the years-ago formula lasted like 2-3weeks (Atleast for me), the newer one can last 2-3months, hehe.

efnfast
10-11-2009, 01:31 PM
BFWD is one of the slickest sealants on the market. Dunno how you are judging slickness.:werd:

:werd:

I just started using it and was like :wow::wow: at its slickness.

Daniel3507
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
im thinking i may not have let it sit long enough. how long did you let it sit till buffing off? im not saying it isnt slick at all because it really is. i just may have had too high of expectations since i am kind of comparing it to the liquid souveran that i put on after a full clay and polish.

efnfast
10-11-2009, 02:39 PM
im thinking i may not have let it sit long enough. how long did you let it sit till buffing off? im not saying it isnt slick at all because it really is. i just may have had too high of expectations since i am kind of comparing it to the liquid souveran that i put on after a full clay and polish.

I used to be a big soverign whore and there`s a big difference in the slickness between it and BWD.

I typically let mine sit 3-4hrs - generally found better results (in general) by giving my waxes/sealents several hours to dry. May have to do with the temperature/humidity/etc... Dunno.