PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Black

BikeFreak
10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I recently had my front fender replaced due to deers bad decision to cross the road at the wrong time. I would rather try to bring the back depth of the black paint on the door (and the rest of the truck) to match the fender, rather than have the body shop redo the fender and blend into the door. In the picture you can see a big difference. This is under halogens and is the worst case scenario as far as lighting is concerned. Out in the sunlight you can not tell the difference between the door and the fender.... But I can!! I have polished all the swirls out of the paint and there is just one coat of S100 that is about 3 months old. I would like to know what you would recommend for this situation. I really like the results I see from your Souveran Paste wax on black vehicles. The Souveran will be my topper but am undecided what I want to prep the paint with before the wax. I was thinking...

Prep paint with clay then:

Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion followed by Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze then topped with Souveran

I would like just to fill in the misc minor scratches the polishing didn`t remove (scratches you can`t see under normal light)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.http://www.taozerophoto.com/photos/676042175_GBg6x-M.jpg

BikeFreak
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
No suggestions??

Daniel3507
10-11-2009, 04:55 PM
im fairly new to detailing but i think you may have to polish the original paint to get it back to the fender color. on a side note, it looks like you have a pretty sweet truck

ten39
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I would rather try to bring the back depth of the black paint on the door (and the rest of the truck) to match the fender, rather than have the body shop redo the fender and blend into the door.

I`m gonna be honest... that`s your best option IMO.

The new paint just doesn`t come close to matching. You`ll probably always see the mis-match in certain light- sunrise/sunset with that side facing the sun, anytime another vehicle`s lights hit that area at night, etc. And no amount of correction is going to change the paint pigment underneath it.

I`m surprised they let it out of the shop that way. Did you have good references on the shop?

BikeFreak
10-12-2009, 07:04 AM
I had it done at the Ford dealership. There is a lifetime guarantee on the work, so I can take it back anytime and have them re-do it. I just haven`t decided yet. But you are right, you can see the diff under certain lighting.

Dan
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
While blending is always an option, that just looks like a bad color match job. Its WAY off.

Lonnie
10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry BikeFreek:

Most people in this forum would have suggested you take your truck to a reputable

body shop rather than a dealership. Sometimes car insurance companies dictate who will repair your vehicle; I,m not sure in your case.

Anyway, looks like a BAD mis-matched paint job. If they (the dealer or bodyshop manager) tells you nothing can be done, it`s time to talk to your auto insurance agent and see if he/she or an adjuster can negotiate something. I`m not sure if it was paid for completely by the insurance company or if you had to pay your deductible first, but seems to me some withholding of payment by your insurance may get some leverage on the dealership to re-do its lack of workmanship.