PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Steps - from Coarse to Fine

Jimmo
10-10-2009, 08:50 AM
http://refinishnetwork.com/imagehost/image.php?id=E9DD_4AD09FDD

This is a quick article I threw together to show the difference between finishing coarse and fine. I doubt it`s that much of an issue in the detailing world but in the auto body world is seems everyone wants to finish coarse and cover in wax. This is to illustrate why not to. You can see the article here: Auto Body Repair - Good vs Bad Polishing (http://www.refinishnetwork.com/blog/good-vs-bad-polishing.html)

As a painter polishing isn`t my area of expertise so I am welcome to any critique, always looking to improve where I can. (I do know that I`m better then 100% of the bodyshop polishers I`ve worked with :hairpull)

SoCalB6
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
#4 shows the panel before buffing and #1 is obviously the buffed surface. #1 demonstrates the way a car is supposed to look when a it gets professionally detailed, otherwise, how could one tell that you paid a pro $XXX to do the work? This is good, pay attention people!

:p

SilverQx4
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Nice guide. Helps people like me who are getting into the detailing business but is not sure what level some of the imperfections we will encounter. thanks for the help

Jimmo
10-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Here`s what each number is representing:

1. Perfect it Rubbing Compoud on White (hard) Pad

2. Perfect it Rubbing Compound on Black (soft) Pad

3. Swirl Mark Remover on a Black (soft) Pad

4. Ultrafina on a Blue Ultrafine Pad

I polished the whole door and taped off a square each step to show what happens when you skip a step. (or try to cheat like #2)

Jimmo
10-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Someone had asked me how #2 was cheating Via PM, thought I should make a post in case others were wondering.

The recommendations for the coarse compound are to be used with a hard pad, some guys try and cheat by using a coarse compound with a soft pad in one step only, figuring it will act like a finishing compound aswell being on a finishing pad. When you use a coarse compound on a soft pad it doesn`t perform as it should and it contaminates your finishing pad with a coarse compound making it hard to actually use that pad to finish. I don`t know why so many people try this method but it`s very common in bodyshops. You can see the results you get with it anyhow.