PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra tips...

AudiFanatic
10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey guys, need some help on this one. I did a search but am finding conflicting results. I`m detailing a Red Audi R8 tommorow morning which has a clear bra type film on the front end. I`m trying to figure out what is safe to polish it with. I have heard of people applying a light polish like Megs 205 on it with a black finishing pad, but other people say to use IPA or plexus. I was planning on claying it and then using a mild polish like 205 or 3m ultrafine, but now I`m having second thoughts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Vdubby18
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Use the search function for "clear bra" and do titles only in advanced search. Read away. :)

I have found out soooo much information just by searching for phrases that could lead me to the answer I`m looking for. Makes life much easier than waiting for your own topic. :bow

AudiFanatic
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, need some help on this one. I did a search but am finding conflicting results.

Already searched :tumblewee

ten39
10-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Use the search function for "clear bra" and do titles only in advanced search. Read away. :)

I have found out soooo much information just by searching for phrases that could lead me to the answer I`m looking for. Makes life much easier than waiting for your own topic. :bow

Have you ever actually done a search on here in reference to past clear bra discussion?

I have, as my wife`s car has one. There is precious little informed, experienced advice on the forum concerning these things.

Hey guys, need some help on this one. I did a search but am finding conflicting results. I`m detailing a Red Audi R8 tommorow morning which has a clear bra type film on the front end. I`m trying to figure out what is safe to polish it with. I have heard of people applying a light polish like Megs 205 on it with a black finishing pad, but other people say to use IPA or plexus. I was planning on claying it and then using a mild polish like 205 or 3m ultrafine, but now I`m having second thoughts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

First off, you need to determine initially if the bra is constructed of top-coated material, or non-top-coated material. The "coat" in this case is basically the clear bra industry`s version of a clear coat. Adds long-term gloss, reduces maintenance. Most of the clear bras put on these days seem to be of this variety. There are still a few installers around using the older tech, non-coated film, but they`re in the minority.

Obviously, determining which type of film dictates your approach...

The older non-coated films are a little less of a liability. Approach them like you would any non-painted plastic. As long as the LSP you`re using has no hardcore dye in it, you can wax/seal just the same as you would normal BC/CC paint.

The newer top-coated films are a little more fragile, with respect to the "correction" the thin "clear coat" will endure. My personal opinion is any mid-level cut and lighter polish applied by hand is safe. I wouldn`t go near the film on my wife`s car with my PC, outside of LSP application. As far as the LSP`s go, the same advice mentioned above for the non-coated stuff holds true.

Bottom line, I wouldn`t use a PC or rotory on either film, but that`s just me. I`m not a pro, nor do I have years of clear bra treatment under my belt, but as a private car owner, I have dealt with both.

Oh, and as someone who has gone through many cans of Plexus, and Plexus-equivalent aerosols, on street motorcycles, I would have to say that it is nearly pointless to use such a product on the clear bras. For correction or long-term protection it`s going to do exactly zip.