PDA

View Full Version : Seems My Car is "Growing" Scratches - What`s Going On ??

MRM1
10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I have an `06 Merlot Nissan Murano. I purchased it about 2 months ago. When I started caring for the paint, I noticed some scratches and thought I may need to take care of them one day. Well one morning as I got in for work, I notices a scratch on the top about 18" long. Ihad not seen this before - Was this New? I did not know. But it was time.

I got some Megs UC and tried to do a little correcting by hand. Scratches around the door handles, some odd places, 3 or 4 on the roof, etc. Polished, waxed and it looked pretty good.

But it seemed the more I washed over the next several weeks, the more scratches I would see. And some seemed to be coming back after washes. (like the 18" one on the roof - it "disappears"/improves then after a wash it is back).

I am doing most of this "corrretion" by hand, which I know is not doing much, But I think I have 2 problems going on:

1. Do products Like Megs UC have fillers or something about them that Temporarily hides scratches. Would using a rotary or DA probably make scratche removal more permenant.

2. I think I have a stray cat that is getting up on the car at night. I am not seeing foot prints (except today), but perhaps the dew washes this away before morning.

- How can you keep cats off short of a cover?

- I have heard things like sprinkle pepper on the roof for a week or so and this will turn them off from wanting to be up there,

But any help on these?

imported_Jakerooni
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
mmmm.. What it sounds like to me might be happening is the dealership that you bought it from did their usualy dealership hack and slash and then just filled it in with products. And 2 months and several washes later that product is now going away and it`s showing it`s true face. I would go out and do an IPA wipe down over the entire vehicle and get a good picture of how things are really sitting with the paint. a good dawn wash will help strip anything left on there as well. Not sure what to tell you about the cat. little buggers are sneaky.

MRM1
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, cats are like Squirrels. I am going to go out and try the pepper thing. I read this on the web somewhere back when I discovered the cat marks.

You may be right about the dealership fillers.

Will a Rotary take them out? I know no one can tell me this with out looking , but They do not seem that deep. I saw some of the stuff and Videos on HD UNO removing scratches by hand. Seems like a "miracle" product. But I am overloaded on product right now to give it a try.

I am probably going to buy a rotary.

I have on hand:

Megs #105

Megs UC

Optimum Polish II

NXT

werkstatte Acrylic Prime

AJT

JW Carnauba Gloss

6.5 Orange LC Pad

6.5 White LC Pad

So I probably have something that will get me there once I get the tool to do it.

But what is the Clear Coat / Paint like on Nissans. Is this a fairly hard / durable CC or are Nissans known for lesser paints. I have no idea.

Accumulator
10-10-2009, 10:32 AM
MRM1- Given the learning curve with a rotary, I almost always suggest that people in your situation choose a Flex 3401 or maybe even just a Griot`s/PC random orbital instead.

MRM1
10-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I am up in the air about a DA or a Rotary. Seems the DA may be the "safer" route. Will a PC remove the scratches?

I will go out and try to take some pics of them this afternoon when the sun gets lower.

Accumulator
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I am up in the air about a DA or a Rotary. Seems the DA may be the "safer" route. Will a PC remove the scratches?

Yeah. The Griot`s random orbital will probably do it a little faster/easier, and a Flex 3401 will do it faster yet. I have a scad of polishers (including two rotaries), and I`m confident that you don`t need/want the rotary.