PDA

View Full Version : pre wax cleaner then sr?

Pages : [1] 2

getright
12-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I have been getting conflicting information on this. My question is would it be beneficial to use a pre wax cleaner then a swirl remover, something like AIO then PSR. Or would that be redundant. I know that pre wax cleaners are polishes with very few abrasives but in my mind i would think that you would clean the paint first then try to remove swirls. However i know that swirl removers contain more coarse abrasives and would that completely negate the cleaning step?(i know that AIO leaves a layer of polymer protection but then what if you used something like UPc(leaves no protection) then sr?)

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Good question.
I have always done the swirl remover first, then the polish.
IMO, that`s the proper steps, But that doesn`t mean I`m right.
If a vehicle was severely oxidized when you start, it might be of value to remove the oxidation prior to the SR.

Charles

The Pit
12-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I concur with Charles.

Polishes have chemical cleaners that are good for light cleaning. An abrasive sr will clean the surface too. So, if you`re going to use an abrasive, do that first.

tubafeak
12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
It really depends, generally I`ll start with the swirl remover then go to the chemical polish. However, if I can`t really asses the condition of the surface I`ll use some Pro Polish and a polishing pad to take some of the surface crap off so I can see what kind of swirl removal is needed.

lonewolf0420
12-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I could be wrong, but I think its useless. The SSR will cleanup everything. AFter claying it it my next step, than I go over with a pure polish, then Wax.

getright
12-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the help. Man i love this place. Anyway i was suspicious of using the sr after the aio b/c it didn`t seem to set up right even after several passses and minutes working it in. It seemed as if the aio had bonded to the paint and was preventing the sr from breaking down correctly. Most of the cars i do don`t have heavy oxidation so i think i`ll take your advice and use the sr first after washing and claying then something like aio or upc as they contain very little or no abrasives. Am i correct in thinking you should start with a heavy abrasive and go lighter?

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Am i correct in thinking you should start with a heavy abrasive and go lighter?If a heavy abrasive is needed, that would be the correct order.
You might want to start with a mild abrasive first and only use a more agressive product if it is needed.

Charles

tubafeak
12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Usually the SSR comes right after clay, but, for instances where there is enough oxidation to prohibit the use of clay (chalky surface) the PP will do just fine. Also, if the car doesn`t look like it has enough swirls I`ll use PP with a light-cut pad and it`s usually the only step I need (because of the crazily fine abrasives that are in it) before sealing or waxing.

getright
12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
OK, my car is an acura with the notoriouly stubborn paint/clearcoat so i am thinking of going with something like ssr2 to try and combat some of the swirls. My paint doesn`t have oxidation as i treat it regularly so i will change my regimine to reflect this info. Thanks again charles, tuba, and everybody for the help. This is what i am thinking:(my car is nighthawk black pearl)
1. wash
2. ssr2
3. ppp or ssr1
4. aio
5. ksg
6. natty`s blue or pinnacle souvereign(sp?)

What do ya think?

tubafeak
12-02-2005, 01:50 PM
If you`re going to use AIO don`t use Pro Polish, it`s redundant. Other than that it looks like a nice solid system.

BTW, it`s tuba, I do enjoy turbos but as of yet I haven`t driven enough turbo cars to deem myself fit for such an alias.

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 01:57 PM
1. wash
2. ssr2
3. ppp or ssr1
4. aio
5. ksg
6. natty`s blue or pinnacle souvereign(sp?)

What do ya think?You can probably go right from the SSR2 to the AIO without the need for PPP or SSR1, either one. Try one section and see.
If you are going to top your Klasse SG with a wax, the Natty`s will do a great job for a lot less money.

Charles

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 01:59 PM
BTW, it`s tuba, I do enjoy turbos but as of yet I haven`t driven enough turbo cars to deem myself fit for such an alias.
Had two. You should try one. You will like it. My present car is supercharged and I enjoy that a great deal, but there is nothing quite like the rush when a turbo spools up. :) At least with 4 wheels.

Charles

tubafeak
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I`m thinking about what to do with my honda :evil: once I get some money, first I need to get it running again though.

CharlesW
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey Getright, did you get your question answered before we hi-jacked your thread?
Sorry about that, but it did happen.:)

Charles

getright
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
sorry tuba, i had to go back and edit it. it seems that i am always having one redundant step in my regimine but that`s why i joined here. i will take your advice and either switch the aio for PBPP or just see the results from the ssr2. i have used the natty`s and love it. it is currently my favorite xxxx and i love the smell. modding my car is my second love after detailing so turbos are always floating around in my mind some where. supercharged charles, gotta love the whine. if you don`t mind me asking what do you drive thats supercharged