PDA

View Full Version : Orange Pad Question

SilverQx4
10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I recently bought some lake country orange pads from autogeek. It says its for light to moderate cutting. My question is, can i use these pads for polishing and for applying wax or a sealant?If i cant apply wax with them, can i use them then apply wax or sealant by hand? Do i need to follow up this pad with another type of pad? Thanks

imported_smprince1
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
It says its for light to moderate cutting. My question is, can i use these pads for polishing and for applying wax or a sealant?

These are light cutting pads, so they are used for light compounding or polishing. I wouldn`t recommmend to use a pad with any cut to apply wax or sealant.

If you`re applying LSP via machine use a finishing pad with no cut or I apply LSP by hand with a soft foam applicator.

Do i need to follow up this pad with another type of pad? Thanks

Depends on the paint, color, compound/polish used, and technique. Sorrry, but the answer isn`t cut and dried but "sometimes", or "it depends".

SilverQx4
10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry im a noob, but whats lsp mean? Also, ill be using these pads with mequiars ultimate polish. Seems like everyone like its for a good light to medium polish.

imported_smprince1
10-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry im a noob, but whats lsp mean? Also, ill be using these pads with mequiars ultimate polish. Seems like everyone like its for a good light to medium polish.

LSP = Last Step Product

e.g. wax or sealant

Here`s a link to all the abberviations which will help a noob:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

Legacy
10-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I recently bought some lake country orange pads from autogeek. It says its for light to moderate cutting. My question is, can i use these pads for polishing and for applying wax or a sealant?If i cant apply wax with them, can i use them then apply wax or sealant by hand? Do i need to follow up this pad with another type of pad? ThanksYou should follow up the orange pad with a white pad and then jewel with a blue pad if your trying to get the best finish.

Darkstar752
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
If you only use an orange pad with Ultimate compound on your Infiniti, you`re gonna get a lot of holograms.

SilverQx4
10-07-2009, 07:04 PM
how about if i use just XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 with the orange pads? no holograms then?

Legacy
10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
how about if i use just XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 with the orange pads? no holograms then?Once again, you need to finish down with a white pad.

Darkstar752
10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Once again, you need to finish down with a white pad.

Yep x2. Orange pads are so stiff that you can use the mildest polish possible and still get marring. You`ll need to finish down with white. Next time, consult the forums before you buy stuff.

SilverQx4
10-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Actually, i bought a kit from autogeek that came with the orange pads because i have a detailing job that the paint is in bad condition. I am looking to do my vehicle next and the paint is pretty good condition. I agree, i should have read alittle more before i purchased but i still would of purchased the orange pads. Thanks for all your help, its made things alot easier.

SilverQx4
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Bought 3 white pads and then 3 gray incase the white pads leave marks behind. thanks for the help again

Poordude
10-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I had some light surface scratches on my Honda ridgeline. I used my pc with an orange lake pad & uc. The surface looked perfect after I did a wipe down. I was just very careful. I did not use a lot of pressure & worked the product in gently.

Accumulator
10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Bought 3 white pads and then 3 gray incase the white pads leave marks behind...

I doubt you`ll see actual *marks* from the white pad combo, and using the gray might very well make such a minor diff that you won`t appreciate it at the time. But often that indiscernible improvement *will* be apparent later, under different lighting/viewing conditions, so it *might* be worth doing even if you don`t think it`s necessary.

wannafbody
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
When using a PC I think it`s more probable to see swirling with a soft finishing pad vs the LC white pad when using products with harder abrasives.

Accumulator
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
When using a PC I think it`s more probable to see swirling with a soft finishing pad vs the LC white pad when using products with harder abrasives.

Very possible, especially, I should think, if the softer pad isn`t primed just right.

I sometimes get better results with M205 when I use an orange Griot`s polishing pad than I do with some finishing pads; this was via Flex but I suspect it`s the same sort of thing.