PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax/detailer on top of Collinite 476?

Boston Man
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
After washing, the car doesnt look as good as when the wax was first applied.

Are there any quick detailers or spray waxes that I can use after washing that wont negatively affect the longevity of 476?

It`s getting cold out and I want to limit my time spent outside. Otherwise I would just put another coat of 476

DW849
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I use the 3M 39034. You can use it while car is still wet and your drying it off.

3M? Quick Wax, 39034, 16 oz, 4 per case (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Product-Catalog/Pages/?nid=Q954SD3RFXgsHMZK2FD45JglBQP217H4S5bl)

Longevity? Dunno, It does add shine though.

Accumulator
10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
My fave on 476S is Griot`s SpeedShine, I use it after every wash.

Interesting that the 476S drops off so quickly though, I wonder if the shampoo is to blame.

Boston Man
10-08-2009, 09:47 AM
My fave on 476S is Griot`s SpeedShine, I use it after every wash.

Interesting that the 476S drops off so quickly though, I wonder if the shampoo is to blame.

Another weird thing about 476...

On my Civic, water only beads for a couple of rains/washes and doesnt feel slick anymore. On my mom`s corolla, water beads for months and it feels slick.

I use the same products on both cars.

Accumulator
10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Another weird thing about 476...

On my Civic, water only beads for a couple of rains/washes and doesnt feel slick anymore. On my mom`s corolla, water beads for months and it feels slick.

I use the same products on both cars.

I`ve heard about weird things like that before, and IIRC the Honda paint seems to get mentioned a lot :think:

BobW
10-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Are there any quick detailers or spray waxes that I can use after washing that wont negatively affect the longevity of 476?

It`s getting cold out and I want to limit my time spent outside. Otherwise I would just put another coat of 476

That`s a very good question. I`ve always been reluctant to use QD`s for this very reason. I have used Pinnacle Crystal Mist on 476 and it seems to work well but I really cannot say how it effects the durability. I usually don`t use anything because Collinite looks good for so long....even after washing.

Man..I wish it would get even a little bit cooler..91 F here today and with the humidity if felt like 99 F...mid Summer conditions, not early Fall. Wow!

gdal
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I know it`s not the same, but I have had excellent results using optimum products (OCW and Instant Detailer) and Zaino Z6 over a layer of no. 845.

The optimum products "might" cause some streaking if you apply too much and if it is extremely humid out, but i love the results.

BTW I believe you won`t get great results with the OCW if it`s colder than 55 degrees out (stated on the bottle)

evolutionwc3
10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I`ve had good luck and great results topping up both 476 and 845 with DG AW.

GeorgesBlazah
10-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Ive used 3M Quickwax, OCW, Mothers QD over 476 and OCW definatly extended it the longest and looked the best. The 3M didnt look quite as good and did an ok job at extending it. The Mothers QD looked really nice, but didnt last.

Accumulator
10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
The only time I`ve had a leaves-stuff-behind QD compromise durability was when I used #34 (which barely leaves anything behind anyhow..) on a nearly-dead LSP (Souveran, IIRC). The #34 finished the LSP off ("oh, [expletive] I gotta rewax after all!") whereas a different QD woulda helped it hang on until the next wash.

I suspected that it was the carrier agents/solvents/"alcohols" in the #34, but Mike Phillips took me to task for using the term "alcohols" as the Meguiar`s chemists say that the stuff in #34 isn`t *really* an alcohol. Never did figure out what happened :nixweiss

bill57
10-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I also use the DG Aquawax after every wash, and it seems to keep my Collinite "alive" . Like the next wash removes the AW, and leaves the Collinite in tact.

STSInNYC
10-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I have used Finish Kare 425 on Collinite 476/885, seems to work fine.

Several coats of 476 have lasted from October through April on my Accord the last two winters here in the Northeast. Have not had problems with endurance of either 476 or 845 on any of the cars in our family.

Accumulator
10-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I have used Finish Kare 425 on Collinite 476/885, seems to work fine..

I had *one* instance where using FK425 over 476S resulted in nasty pseudo-holograms. As best I can tell it was from solvent action on residual 476S that was stuck in the pores/microfissures of a paintjob that`s in *VERY* poor condition.

As long as the paint is in good condition I wouldn`t expect any issues like I encountered, but if it *does* happen it`s a real PIA...messing things up by doing that "final finishing touch" is frustrating!

But when it doesn`t cause problems, a final going-over with FK425 is a nice touch on most *any* LSP.