PDA

View Full Version : Learning Curve...

cgc
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Gentlemen -

I am in the process of SLOWLY starting to detail cars as a second job. I say slowly because I want to do things right and I have a great deal of respect for you who do this as a full time profession....I don`t want to add to the over abundance of idiots out there calling themselves "detailers" but turn out crap work.

that being said, I am getting ready to order a PC but know that an orbital will cut down on time that I will have into a car. HOWEVER, I know they are harder to work with while the PCs are some what dumbly proof.

How much of a learning curve is there between the two and is would it be better to go ahead and go with an orbital over the PC? OR, just go ahead and pick up a PC then once I have that mastered, move to an orbital?

Any suggestions?

And just for the record, I`ve searched and am getting ready to do another search just in case I missed something :)

Thanks fellas :bow

imported_Jakerooni
10-07-2009, 11:19 AM
With the new methods out there taking full advantage of the PC I would say go that route at first and learn the methods. The results are up there with any top notch detail and like you said a PC is pretty dummy proof. Obviously there will be a learning curve to deal with coming from the PC to the Rotary in the fact that once you get used to the PC and not worring about damaging anything and then switching over to the rotary where damage can very easily occur you`re definatly going to want to get some test panels until you figure out how the rotary is going to react in your hands.

Accumulator
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
.. I am getting ready to order a PC but know that an orbital will cut down on time that I will have into a car. HOWEVER, I know they are harder to work with while the PCs are some what dumbly proof.

How much of a learning curve is there between the two and is would it be better to go ahead and go with an orbital over the PC? OR, just go ahead and pick up a PC then once I have that mastered, move to an orbital?

The PC *is* an orbital, a *random* orbital. The "other type" of polisher is referred to as a rotary. Sorry to sound pedantic, but clarity makes for better understanding.

IMO you should look into the Flex 3401. Much greater capability than the PC, but with a nice steep learning curve.

IMO the PC is so marginal performance-wise that it`s downright frustrating, whereas the Flex 3401 actually does what people expect a polisher to do.

cgc
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
The PC *is* an orbital, a *random* orbital. The "other type" of polisher is referred to as a rotary. Sorry to sound pedantic, but clarity makes for better understanding.

No worries, while I understand the difference I also understand the need for clarity. :D

IMO you should look into the Flex 3401. Much greater capability than the PC, but with a nice steep learning curve.

IMO the PC is so marginal performance-wise that it`s downright frustrating, whereas the Flex 3401 actually does what people expect a polisher to do.

Thats the one that`s on the radar with the PC...My concern was that I was not sure how forgiving the Flex is compaird to the PC.

Thats my only concern...

brwill2005
10-07-2009, 12:10 PM
If I were you I would look into the Cyclo as well. Not sure why it always gets left out of the orbital discussion.

dschribs
10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
My concern was that I was not sure how forgiving the Flex is compared to the PC.

I`ve wondered the same thing...seems like a very effective machine. I`d love to know if it has the same "safety margin" as the PC.

D Tailor
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
As with any machine, it is only as safe as the way it is handled by its operator.

However, in my experience, the flex is relatively fool proof. Much moreso at least than the nearest rotary.

cgc
10-07-2009, 01:14 PM
OK, went to look at some prices....I wasn`t aware of the difference in price between the Flex and the PC.

I may upgrade at a later time...I just can`t swing right now on top of buying product and such. The PC may take me a bit longer to get the work down, but cost right now has made a pretty big deciding factor.

Thank you for all of the in put fellas.

Like I said, maybe once I get going for a bit, I`ll "graduate" to the Flex...it`s just not on the radar at this point because of that price.

Xilleration
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I would suggest saving the extra money and get the Flex asap.

It will pay for itself pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. The PC is okay but if you want to make cash on the side you need to think of the bigger picture rather than just the hobby/enthusiast side of detailing.

Dan
10-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Get the PC now, get comfy with it, then move up to a rotary. Most pros have both. People with the flex seem to have all three.

cgc
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I would suggest saving the extra money and get the Flex asap.

It will pay for itself pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. The PC is okay but if you want to make cash on the side you need to think of the bigger picture rather than just the hobby/enthusiast side of detailing.

Well, as I normally think with that kind of mind set, its VERY hard to do that considering I can get a PC, pads, and product for $250....and with $250, thats a down payment on the Flex (no pads or product)

Like I said, normally if its a little more for something that IS of better quality or makes a job easier....I`m all about doing that. Just can`t justify that right now. Finances are there at the moment.... :nixweiss

eddie926
10-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Get in on this deal before they`re gone...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/high-definition-car-care/123956-40-off-porter-cable-7424xp-polisher-kit.html

cgc
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Here is what I was looking at, and I have access to some discount codes....

Optimum Porter Cable 7424 Kit Remove swirl marks and paint flaws (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html)

I realize this kit is more than the one you posted, but I`m not familiar with the HD line and unless I read up on it and like it, I`d be more comfortable buying whats tried and true.

I greatly appreciate it though. :bigups

The Enforcer
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
went straight from hand polishing to a rotary....skipped the random orbitals!

Accumulator
10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
If I were you I would look into the Cyclo as well. Not sure why it always gets left out of the orbital discussion.

Much as I *LOVE* my Cyclos (favorite polishers to use *ever*), they just don`t do serious correction as well as the Flex 3401, and their configuration makes them less suitable for certain body contours (there are areas on my XJS that the Cyclo simply can`t do the way a PC/Flex/etc. can).

I`d rather use my Cyclos than any other machine, and I do stuff via Cyclo instead of by hand just because I like using them, but I find I recommend them less and less these days.

Get the PC now, get comfy with it, then move up to a rotary. Most pros have both. People with the flex seem to have all three.

And I often wonder how many people still reach for their rotaries regularly once they get the Flex. I know I hardly ever do.

My concern was that I was not sure how forgiving the Flex is compared to the PC.

IMO (and I fear this will sound kinda harsh), if somebody has to worry about the additional risk of an "oops" then they have the wrong knowledge base/mindset to be doing machine correction anyhow.

The cases where somebody *with the right mindset* has a Flex-related uh-oh seem to usually be related to some unsuspected, underlying problem like a bad repaint.