PDA

View Full Version : M105 Vs Ohc... Cut Vs Workability

EMIN007
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone, wanted to get different opinions on the pro`s and con`s of using either M105 (meguiars 105 compound) and OHC (optimum hyper compound). I`ve had great success with M105 (most of the time), but depending on the climate, weather and other such conditions can make using M105 a real nightmare! Sometimes the product works like a dream and at other times with flashing (no matter how slow or fast you work it) and gumming it seems to take more time to apply and take off then worth IMO.

So I wanted to get a sense if anyone has used M105 and switched to OHC or any other similar compound due to the other factors that might make M105 hard to use. I use to use OHC due to the infinite work time and ease of removal.

In my opinion if I`m spending more time buffing but spending less time removing it is lot more cost effective. Passing the buffer over an area is less time consuming and less effort then trying to remove flashed and gummed M105.:buffing:

Please write of your experiences and any comments or suggestions that you might have.

Thanks

Scottwax
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
The main problem is that OHC would be about a 6-8 on Meguiars aggressiveness scale so you`d have to use a cutting or wool pad compared to #105 with a polishing pad to get the same cut. OHC isn`t going to have any dusting problems either. You`ll just have to play around with both to see if the trade-offs are worth the less cut of OHC.

EMIN007
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes Scott, I think using the point of deminishing returns type of theory I believe that I`m benefiting from the OHC`s ease of removal, longer work time and no dusting opposed to the better cutting benefit of the M105.

DONT GET ME WRONGI have to say if I had a panel or two I would definetly use M105 because of the speed and I don`t have to spend so much time cleaning up...

E300Diesel
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I`m going to step outside the box here, and the dilemna of mixing diminishing abrasive product with non-diminishing abrasive product, but what about adding a little OHC to the 105 to help extend the work time, and/or assist with the ease of removal?

I have wondered this before, but at a low content of OHC with the 105, say 20% - how would this affect the finish, workability, etc...

Just a thought.

imported_DJ Mayo
10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I myself have mixed 105 and OPII and it worked great.

lasthope05
10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Give M95 a try. Nick Chapman made a review about how well it worked for him in the texas heat.

M95 Speed Cut Compound - Nick`s Review - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27479&highlight=m95)

EMIN007
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I tried the M95 have to say If it came down to the two I would pay a little more and go with M105 IMO. Just bought a bottle but wasn`t that impressed with it.