PDA

View Full Version : Brand new leather How to preserve?

Jim Svarz
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
What`s the best way to treat leather upholstery (Honda) that is virgin, i.e., never been touched by a cleaner or protectant.?

Jim Svarz

wannafbody
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Use a water based cleaner and protector such as Zaino or Sonus.

Scottwax
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Keep it clean. Dirt is the #1 enemy of leather. Any name brand leather conditioner should work just fine.

Jim Svarz
10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
OK,

I guess I need to ask if I should clean the leather first B4 Conditioning, since it`s fresh out of the factory. I think it`s probably pretty pristine in terms of being clean, but if you persist, Ill do the cleaning before conditioning.

Kindest Regards,

Jim Svarz

vtec92civic
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
i would also like to know what you folks recommend . . . . . 09 Accord EX-L Coupe here.

Was going to grab some zaino myself for personal use.

Roger Koh
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
It depends, leather has to be sensuous, the more you protect it with a film forming protector or conditioner the more unnatural it becomes.

And since it’s already protected to a degree, might as well enjoy your leather and extended the life of the leather too!

First, you want leather to have a classic leather scent, even when your passenger opens the door in the dark knows that it has leather interior.

Second, you want the leather to feel right, with a sensuous buttery feel that you and your passenger enjoy running your hands over the leather.

Third, you want to reduce friction, any squeak is a rub against the leather that causes wear.

Fourth, you want to have a non-stick surface, so that dye transfer from fabric especially new jeans will be reduced.

Even ballpoint pen fails to dispense that nasty ink, as the leather surface behaves like wax paper.

And any nasty sticky substance that is stuck to the leather surface is easily removed without worry of peeling the leather finish.

Look out for a product that has all the features and benefits that will be worthwhile your trouble to treat your virgin leathers to enjoy and extend its useful life.

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

Scottwax
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
For right now, use a damp MF towel to wipe down the leather whenever you wash your car, doing so will greatly minimize the need to use cleaners. I use a 20:1 Water to Woolite ratio, but any MILD soap should work fine. You can use commercial cleaners if you like, but they are pretty much mild soap and water too. Follow with a damp MF towel to make sure nothing is left behind. Don`t wear belts and put a towel down if you wear jeans, especially in damp weather.

Envious Eric
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
dang, thats a pretty detailed list...any product recommendations??? PM if you feel like you might be spamming, but i dont think you would be

judyb
10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
The crucial thing to do as it is new leather is to protect it straight away. Use a tested protector so that you know that it is working it is surprising how many on the market don`t. `Conditioners` do not protect and adding a whole shopping list of products to your leather will certainly not so it any good.

Most leather in cars these days is `coated` leather. This is essentially a `painted` leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

`Conditioners`, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers and will not alter its factory finish.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new

Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product

Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

vtec92civic
10-07-2009, 02:05 AM
but what products do you all recommend?

jfelbab
10-07-2009, 07:55 AM
After years of trying every new product that would come to market I found judyb`s advice to be spot on. These days I use Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner two to three times a year and I protect the cleaned leather with Leather Masters Protection Cream. I no longer use a conditioner.

In-between maintenance... I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer sprayed on a microfiber weekly after every wash to remove dust and light soils.

Judyb is absolutely correct about a protectant doing a good job at avoiding dye transfer. I no longer concern myself about friends wearing jeans on my ivory leather.

The LM Protection Cream leaves the seats dry, smooth and silky feeling. No oily film to attract dust and grime like most conditioners leave behind. No squeaks, no slippery finish, just a soft, supple, luxurious leather feel.

I would recommend that you pay particular attention to what judyb has to say about leather care as she is very well informed and my experience supports her suggestions 100%.

Jim Svarz
10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Thankyou so much Judy B and Roger.

You both have the same passion for leather as I and I greatly appreciate your perspective on maintenance.

Kindest Regards,

Jim Svarz