PDA

View Full Version : brown crap on my leather

erics00ls
10-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a leather wrapped steering wheel in my Impala. It seems to scratch off but what IS it and how do I get rid of it ??

http://i35.tinypic.com/2v97z9j.jpg

erics00ls
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
ok, 43 views and not one post? can someone please help?

Roger Koh
10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Is the leather type an aniline wax pull-up?

This leather when scratch or stretch lightens up.

Is this the problem?

Roger Koh

Leather DoctorŽ

judyb
10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
If the scratch you are referring to is due to it being an aniline style leather (one that absorbs moisture and scratches easily with your finsger nail) then using a leather protector should remove the surface scratches quite easily. You may have to rub fairly hard to achieve this as I would imagine there is some sort of finish on it (especially on a steering wheel).

If this is the case a very good protector will be required to prevent the steering wheel become clogged with body oils from your hands. Make sure you use one that has been tested to work otherwise it will not do anything and will be a wasted excercise.

Hope this helps

mborner
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
He doesn`t have a scratched steering wheel. He has brown stuff on his steering wheel that comes off when he "scrapes" it off with his fingernail. He wants to know what it is, and how to remove it.

judyb
10-07-2009, 11:41 PM
If it is brown `stuff` that is scraping off then this will be due to the build up of body oils from hands on the steering wheel ( a common problem). Difficult to tell this from the photo though, It will need degreasing and then refinishing and protecting so that it doesn`t happen again.

Steering wheels are notoriously difficult to deal with and are the prime example of why a protector should be used from the start - this would stop this problem from happening

erics00ls
10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
so would it just be easier to just buy a new steering wheel and horn assembly for the car?