PDA

View Full Version : Where to get detailing grade sandpaper OTC?

gswearengin
10-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Hiya guys,

I have a little predicament on my hands: I just placed a big order from AutoGeek, but it doesn`t look like UPS will be able to get it here by this weekend. I was really hoping to spend most of the weekend working on my paint. I think I have just about everything I *need*, but I was hoping to do some paint chip repairs, and don`t have any super fine grade sandpaper.

So, I`m wondering if all 2500 grit sandpaper is created equal, or if there really is something to this:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/sandpaperdiagram.jpg

If so, do any of the big chains carry Meg`s unigrit, or is there somewhere else I can pick up something comparable?

Thanks,

Gary

unleashedfury
10-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Probably your local Auto Paint Dealer.. You may not be able tobuy in bulk though and probably pay a premium vs. what you are paying for via Autogeek

Accumulator
10-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Probably your local Auto Paint Dealer..

Yep :xyxthumbs

Check your yellow pages for auto body/paint supply stores. Places like that will utterly redefine your concept of "OTC".

fergnation
10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Most places carry the 3m 2000 grit paper. Depending on what you are going to be using to clean up the sanding marks with, this paper works well for me. I would rather use Meg`s unigrit 2500 and even 3000 but have use the 3m 2000 on may occasions.

Accumulator
10-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I hear the 3M paper is better than it was back when it disappointed me.

Scottwax
10-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Pep Boys carries the 3M paper. Your local automotive paint and supply store will probably have both 3M and Meguiars.

mixxmstrmike
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I believe there is a "Meguiar`s Dealer Locator" application in Meguiar`s site. Just input your zip code and it should pop up "local" dealers in your area.

Other resources may be to include woodworking shops. They usually carry Nikken sandpaper which, I believe, and please correct me if I`m wrong, the actual manufacturer of Meguiar`s Unigrit papers.

Hope this helps,

Mike

gswearengin
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have found an auto paint supply store that has Meg`s 2500 grit in stock...now I just need to make it over there before they close at "5:30 sharp!"

Gary

gswearengin
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
...which I did not today. Will have to try again Thursday evening. D`oh!

bill57
10-09-2009, 10:49 PM
When I only needed less than a single sheet, I politely asked (begged) my local body shop to sell me one. They gave it to me!

Accumulator
10-10-2009, 10:21 AM
When I only needed less than a single sheet, I politely asked (begged) my local body shop to sell me one. They gave it to me!

Heh heh, yeah, I got some nice Mirka foam sanding pads from my painter that way :D