PDA

View Full Version : Sweat on upholstery?

blinkme323
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone, recently I took a friend of mine home after playing basketball and upon arriving home I found that the passenger seat of my car was damp with sweat! I immediately wiped down the seat with a wet rag and 303 upholstery cleaner. My question is, should I take any other precautions? And also, do you think the seat was saturated long enough to cause any damage? They are cblack cloth seats, btw.

Accumulator
10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Maybe you`ll be lucky and maybe you won`t...just depends (on the sweat for the most part IIRC).

I`d use some anti-microbial stuff (I think that`s what it`s called :think: ) if it were mine. I got it for cleaning my seatcovers and it`s also used for cleaning divers` wetsuits. Sorry, I`m not sure where you`d buy it these days. It`s basically a special detergent so you`d have to rinse/extract it back out.

I`d probably spray it down with some odor-killer stuff too (got that from AutoInt/ValueGard).

Worst case, you`re looking at taking the seat upholstery off so you can treat the padding, but that`d be pretty extreme. Hope for the best.

[Insert lecture here about sweating up somebody`s car! Also insert more sympathetic/less-strident lecture about allowing somebody to do it..carry towels/etc. in every vehicle, all the time ;) ]

dcrc
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Prevention is better than cure?

Sound like Ultima interior guard plus can be a help

blinkme323
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Yeah, the sweat couldn`t have been on there for more than 10 minutes before I treated it. I literally cleaned it as soon as I got home, so I`m hoping that everything is ok.

Roger Koh
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Sweat has urea content that attracts bacteria from the atmosphere.

When the bacteria act on the sweat it produces odors.

One way to control micro-organism is to apply an odorless pH 3.9 sanitizer and wiping off with an absorbent towel.

This is the hygiene concern in regards to maintenance regardless if its cloth or leather seats.

Roger Koh

Leather DoctorŽ

blinkme323
10-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I think I`m going to give it one more good cleaning and then scotch guard it for protection. Live and learn I guess, thankfully it doesn`t seem like there was any damage at all.