PDA

View Full Version : IPA wipedown - necessary or not?

Lee Yoder
10-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I am am member on numerous forums and have been reading a lot recently about detailers doing an IPA wipedown of the vehicle after polishing or `jewelling`. How necessary is this step? Most products are compatible with one another, so it seems redundant to me. Am I incorrect in my thinking? Some clarification would be useful.

Thanks,

Lee

jDizzle
10-03-2009, 01:12 PM
the common belief here is that an IPA wipedown after polishing before waxing or sealing will help to get rid of the oils from the polish.. polish is essentially abrasives suspended in oils. and the oils can hinder a products ability to stick to the paint. IPA is thought to get rid of these oils, giving your wax/ or sealant a better surface to hold onto.

David Fermani
10-03-2009, 01:38 PM
After polishing, I rewash with dawn and then IA wipedown everything. I want the paint as clean as possible before I seal it. It`s been working great for me. Just make sure you wash very carefully or else you`ll risk marring the paint.

imported_paintxpert
10-03-2009, 01:48 PM
If you wipe it down after polishing it that would be OK but I finish up and seal with the sponge WHITE pad ...no wiping after that. I did a black Jag last week that a salesman wiped down with a clean cloth and still marked it up. Some blacks have to be treated very carefully after they are finished as we all well know.

Junebug
10-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I found that you have to do a IPA before using a sealant like Zaino if you use Menzerna polishes. I switched to Blackfire since it looks as good, feels as slick and doesn`t have the finicky issues Zaino can have if it not 100% ideal conditions. I still do an IPA just to get any oils off the paint.