PDA

View Full Version : Early Wax

hoganalley
10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey guys:

I`ve got a question that I can`t seem to get an answer to. I just got my car painted a month ago and I`m concerned about the upcoming winter months. I know you have to wait 3 months for the clear to cure and what not but I need to have this thing waxed and protected before the snow comes. Would I be safe to wax the car after only 2 months, in 40deg weather? If not, what are my options? We generally have snow up here at the end of November. I think it would be ok but I want the opinion from guys who know!

akimel
10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
You can find a number of threads on Autopia devoted to the question that you raise, with vigorous debate. One question you need to ask your bodyshop is: "If I apply a wax before the stipulated 90 days, will it void the warranty?"

That being said, you may find this thread of interest: Dr. David Ghodoussi on new paint (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/forums.htm). If Dr G is correct, then you should be able to safely wax your car after 30 days.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

Setec Astronomy
10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I started to post before Al did but I stopped. This is a source of constant debate. Today`s clear is a catalyzed coating and there should be minimal solvent left in the coat, especially if the shop baked it. I`d go with 30 days. Let the bickering begin!

Charlie Matco
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I`ve always followed the 30 days rule and it`s never bit me!

hoganalley
10-03-2009, 12:21 PM
well.....thanks for the advice guys....I never thought to call the body shop guy and ask him. That was dumb.

Says I can do whatever I want. He actually said I could wax the next day!