PDA

View Full Version : Any dog experts out there?

Way2SSlow
12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
I`ve posted this exact thread on a few forums I frequent, so some of you guys might have already read it. I would just like to get as many opinions/suggestions as I possibly can...so here it goes....

We have had this dog (mixed breed) for about 7 years now and she always seems to love other dogs. She has always seemed agressive at first, but within minutes, they are running around and playing. Well, over the Thanksgiving holiday we went to my Aunt and Uncle`s house....there were 3 other dogs there and my dog was really enjoying the playtime with the other 3. Since we have been home, she has been acting kind of depressed and lonely. We had been kicking around the idea of getting her another dog for a while, and the way she acted over the holiday vacation sealed the deal. We brought home a male dog (mixed breed..your guess is as good as mine) to be her pal. The dog we brought home has been in the shelter for almost his entire life. He`s a real sweetheart, and gets along with other dogs very well (he shared a pen with two other dogs his entire life). I can tell he is going to be a great dog, he is smart, knows some commands, loves people, is good on a leash, house trained, and pretty playful. The problem that I am having is with my resident dog. She has all the same qualities as he does (well..minus the good on a leash thing:D) but she has been acting funny around him. She won`t give him the time of day. When he comes over to her, she will kinda shrug him off. At night, she sleeps in a chair/foot stool we have for her, and he slept on the floor near her. She usually stays still while she sleeps, but last night she moved to the other side of the room, almost as if to get away from Murray (the new dog). Last night WAS his first night, and he totally warmed up to the family in about 3 minutes.....Anyone have any ideas/opinions/general thoughts about why Jinx (my older dog) isnt acting like she does with all the other dogs that come around? Any suggestions as to what I can do to help them get used to each other.

Jinx always acts weird if anything is at all out of place. Example: when we first got her (Oct 99) we tried to put a bow on her collar (for Xmas) and she acts like she is sick. Her nose goes from Cold/wet to warm and dry, and she just isnt herself. It seems that she is acting sick now ever since Murray came home. Thing is, we didnt spring Murray on her, we brought her with us to the Rescue and she got to meet Murray the same time we did (we found him on Petfinder). What gives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Approximate ages: Jinx-about 7 years (the rescue estimated her to be 8 months when we got her in Oct 99). Murray-about 3-4 years old (he was pretty young when the rescue got him and has spent most his life there).

G35stilez
12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Very common, in my experiences.

In the past year, my family purchased a new pup. At my home in NY we have had a female golden retriever for about 7 years. My parents purchased a female german shepard puppy around that time (about 10 months ago). Before, the golden had become real sluggish, but after getting the shepard, it took some time, but the golden has come back around. She is much more lively and generally more happy.

Dogs need time to warm-up to each other; Especially, when ones territory has been "violated". Give it time and keep an eye on them. Give both ample attention, but more to the resident pup.

keeotee
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Could be jealousy or just the new face in the house or any number of things, but I wouldn`t sweat it just yet. If they are not fighting, literally, then that is a great sign. Chances are very good they`ll warm up to eachother in no time.

:)

Sludge
12-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I agree with the two previous posts. Your female will take a while to adjust to her new housemate. I would suggest you not try to judge your dog`s health by whether the nose is wet or dry. I have been a small animal veterinarian for 30 years and the nose is not a big consideration when I perform a physical. Enjoy your new pet! :D

Way2SSlow
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
I agree with the two previous posts. Your female will take a while to adjust to her new housemate. I would suggest you not try to judge your dog`s health by whether the nose is wet or dry. I have been a small animal veterinarian for 30 years and the nose is not a big consideration when I perform a physical. Enjoy your new pet! :D

Thanks. I just thought it was odd...ya know, cuz it`s usually ice cold and wet. Does it mean anything at all, or do dogs noses just do that?

harry444
12-01-2005, 04:38 PM
"[QUOTE]Thanks. I just thought it was odd...ya know, cuz it`s usually ice cold and wet. Does it mean anything at all, or do dogs noses just do that?"[QUOTE]

LOL no that doesn`t mean a thing don`t worry your old pal will be ok with it. Just think how you would feel if you were the king of the house and all of a sudden a new king arived! you wouldn`t feel too happy would you :evil: your dog will be ok in a little while have a great day! :D

DFTowel
12-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Perfectly normal behavior. Dogs are critters of habit and any change gets their noses out of joint real fast. Give it a few days and before you know it they will be fast friends.

I`m a great believer in two dog households. THey live longer, are more active, much happier, and will occupy each other when you`re not around. Hell, they may even sleep with the cat!
http://leocerruti.com/otusbarcmarv.jpg

Sludge
12-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Way2SSlow,
The wet or dry nose does`nt mean too much. I`d be more concerned with a pet that went more than a couple days without eating.