PDA

View Full Version : Removing adhesive from brand new paint?

gswearengin
10-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi guys,

So I am in the process of negotiating getting a new car. Part of the process is going to be for the dealer not to wash it. However, I have done this before, and last time the car had a lot of adhesive residue from the protective film used for shipping. It was a major PITA to get that off last time. I am almost tempted to let them do it, but I just know that is going to mean swirl city.

So, what product would you guys recommend for removing sticky adhesive residue on brand new paint?

Thanks,

Gary

AeroCleanse
10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
The only thing I have used is 3M Adhesive Remover.

There is a new product at Detailers Domain, but I haven`t used it. ValuGard Neutralization System (A+B) Kit (http://www.detailersdomain.com/valugardneutralizationsystemabkit.aspx)

imported_paintxpert
10-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Wash it good that softens the glue. The the 3m adhesive remover will work. Or any adhesive remover is fine. WD-40 also dissolves glue. TARMINATOR from Stoner eats it up also. I do new Volvos it comes off when I do the wash. It can be a royal pain. Good Luck

bridgersmith
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
When I first learned to detail I worked at a dealership and when we took delivery on new cars we would use carnuba cleaner wax to remove the adhesive. It worked really well as far as I can remember.

David Fermani
10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Stay away from solvents containing formaldehyde, benzene, toluene and xylene-all potentially hazardous to your health and the paint on your car.

imported_JoshVette
10-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I`ve actually done this on quite a few new cars so I will tell you the best way is to thoroughly wash and clay the car after you remove the plastics and then go with 3M Adhesive remover which is designed for auto paint or goo gone would work as well.

You`re not going to hurt your paint with those products.

Just make sure you protect it with a good sealant or wax afterward.

Josh