PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swirls And Scratches By Hand

spencer785
10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
hi there i have an 08 ford explorer and have a few scratches and the truck is swirled pretty badly. I`m more worried about the scratches then the swirls, the scratches are from removing a 3m chrome part with fishing line. I have scratch x 2.0 but im afarid to use it I dont want to mess up my trucks paint job. I also have swirlx and ultimate compound, I`m just really afraid to use them can you guys tell me if its okay or is there a risk or what. Thanks

RaskyR1
10-01-2009, 11:05 AM
It`s pretty hard to damage the paint by hand. Start with the SwirlX first and see how well that works. Then move up to the ScratchX or UC if the SwrilX doesn`t achieve the results you want.

I suggest applying them with a foam applicator and keeping your work area small (about 8" x 8"). Work a section with medium/heavy pressure for about 45 seconds and then wipe away the residue with a clean MF towel. Reapply if needed.

Also, if you can feel the scratches with your finger nail, you likely won`t be able to remove them completely.

FYI, working by hand sucks. :D

vtec92civic
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I would def. at least pick up a PC. When i first started, i was doing everything by hand and knowing what i know now and owning a machine the results are by far greater.

You will never achieve by hand anything close to what can be done by a DA machine. It will take you 1/2 the time and the results will be twice as good.

imported_paintxpert
10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
By hand ???? Get avariable speed polisher and experiment at slower speeds. Go to you tube and watch the demos on auto polishing. Good Luck!

efnfast
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Can you remove them by hand - depends on how ddep the scratches and swirls are.

Do you want to remove them by hand - absolutely not. That will be a backbreaking process that just isn`t worth it.

Invest in a proper buffer (e.g., PC, Flex, etc...) and learn to detail your ride to perfection.:buffing:

AeroCleanse
10-01-2009, 02:17 PM
The video of HD UNO of hand correction looks impressive.

spencer785
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
anybody else

Accumulator
10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
spencer785- Products like Meguiar`s M105, Ultimate Compound, M205, and Scratch-X v2.0 can work by hand, it`ll just take a lot of time and effort.

I really can`t imagine somebody messing things up with such products. Follow the instructions, work a small area until you see what works well/doesn`t, and ask Qs if something confounds you.

jDizzle
10-04-2009, 10:26 AM
i used to do everything by hand, and i do agree that machine polishing is much faster.... but it took me a while to decide to get a PC. and it wasnt until i decided to try and make money with it, and it has paid for itself many times.. im aware that not everyone wants this. some just want to go buy a simple product at walmart of autozone or somewhere and make it work.. saving themselves a lot of money.. i find scratch x to be a great product.. never tried ultimate compound, but swirl x works well by machine for me. never had great results with it by hand.. so ill reccomend the scratch X 2.0... to use either the swirl x or scratch x put a dime-ish sixed amount onto an applicator pad, then work onto a freshly washed surface( with scratches and swirl u want to remove) and rub with some passion. use even pressure, not your finger tips! . you want to work the product until it is basically clear , which means the abrasives have done their job and broken down. if you see a little hazing where you did this, you didnt work it long enough, or had dirt on the surface or applicator. work in small sections. and keep in mind this will probably take several applications... by the way. meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0 is GREAT at hiding swirlmarks, you might want to give that a shot when all is said and done.. good luck :-)