PDA

View Full Version : Trim Protectants vs Rain

dschribs
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Are there any exterior trim protectants that are resistant to streaking in the rain - or is it my technique that is giving me issues? So far I`ve used PB Trim Restorer - which I love. But the next day after a rain, I had streaks of it down the side of my vehicle. I`ve also experiences the same thing, but to a lesser degree, with Meg`s All Season Dressing.

Am I not wiping down enough after applying it - or - are some products just less forgiving when it comes to fighting off the rain??

Cleaning Fool
09-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I`ve yet to use a "trim" product that doesn`t bleed on to paint when it rains. Some say Black Wow won`t, however my tests show otherwise.

Dsoto87
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
collinite 845 makes a great trim dressing that wont streak

shadow85
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
collinite 845 makes a great trim dressing that wont streak

Whats the dry time before u buff off?

Cleaning Fool
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
collinite 845 makes a great trim dressing that wont streakOn black plastic?

dheath
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
I used poliseal and haven`t really seen any runoff - but then again I`m in San Diego...

Dsoto87
09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
On black plastic?

Yup and on seals.

I havent seen the long term effects of it but in the mean time, it makes it darker/bolder, no white residue. I think accum said it does start to look a little shabby way down the line though. We`ll see as I just started using it as so.

wfedwar
09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.werkstat.com/prodimages/detailsp.jpg

WERKSTAT Detailing: Satin Prot (http://www.werkstat.com/satin-prot.php)

Searched far and wide. This is the best I`ve found. BW is ok, too, but much more involved application to get it right.

smokin180
10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Danase Diamond Gel works awesome.

imported_Blake
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Have used PB trim Restorer, Black Wow, Poliseal, without streaking as well as Meg;s Tire Gel. I rub the product in quite well and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I then go back with another cloth and again buff it up to make sure it is well worked into the trim. Seems to always work well. My favorite is Poorboy`s Trim Restorer.

khjr
10-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Are there any exterior trim protectants that are resistant to streaking in the rain?

I`ve had great luck with Klasse AIO and SG on smooth black plastic, and AIO + Sonus Glanz (like a diluted SG) on mildly textured plastic (haven`t tried SG there yet). The AIO cleans it up nicely and leaves a shine, but the SG or Glanz keeps it shiny longer + promotes beading. Some of the plastic, like the spoiler above my rear window, gets full sun all the time and the Klasse is holding up well.

sparklescarwash
01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Automagic makes a trim protect called xp renuit thick loation like last long time beads water does not run. 40 bucks a gallon

Accumulator
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I almost always use some sort of LSP-based approach on black plastic and even exterior rubber, works super for me.

Right off-hand the only such surfaces I can think of where this doesn`t work on are the foglight covers and sideview mirror rubber of my `85 XJS. And I do use wax, usually Souveran, on most of that vehicle`s exterior plastic/rubber trim (been working well for decades, those surfaces are still like new).

845 works *very* well, it`s what I used on the plastic and rubber trim of my Blazer, and the Volvo wagon before that. I also used it on the Yukon before switching to FK1000P (most of the trim) and KSG (the rest of it, including the rubber facings on the runningboards and rear step bumper).

Be careful using FK1000P for this, any excess results in staining. Not a real problem if you buff thoroughly.

Yeah, 845 can start looking crappy when it needs redone, but that takes months. It never looks quite as bad as such surfaces do when they`ve been treated with 476S and need redone (yeah, 476S, used that on the Volvo for a few years; no it didn`t stain when I did it right).

Yeah, I used the regular Klasse twins on the Yukon`s textured rubber facings, started doing that on the MPV`s rubber back bumper cover pad. Works fine. I generally use the twins on *all* exterior plastic and rubber, textured or not, but you do have to watch you buff the excess off thoroughly (try the W-O-W-O approach). Not nearly as finicky as FK1000P though.

And yeah, the Sonus Acrylic Glanz spritz is a quick and easy way to refresh those surfaces. But I usually just give `em a bit of FK425/etc. after each wash, along with the rest of the vehicle.

Harold97
01-03-2010, 04:24 PM
If I worked in the PB Trim Restore and thoroughly buffed it off, would applying Z-8 to it keep it from streaking and also keep it looking good?

I used my Trim Restore once on both hard rubber and plastic trim, and it streaked and now looks uneven, but I think it rained a couple days after I put it on. I am hoping not to have to dye my trim...

Also, I have heard of people using shoe polish...is this a valid solution with no bad side effects?