PDA

View Full Version : Engine Block Cleaning

capt512
09-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have tried numerous times over the years to clean the engine in my DD 01 Crown Vic, and while I have been able to get the plastics and paint clean, I`ve never been able to get the block clean.

I`ve tried gunk engine cleaner, purple power degreaser, eagle one wheel & tire, mother`s mag wheel polish, toothbrushes, steel brushes, brass brushes, etc and all I get is either a darker grey from the brushes, or a white spotted engine block (corrosion?).

Here is a picture of the block, where if you look closely you can see the white spotted engine block cover and overall dirtiness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/capt512/CVPI/stuff048.jpg

I`m not looking for any amazing shiny block, just as close as I can get to the factory silverish color.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

RustyBumper
09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I don`t know, maybe a silver paint that can withstand the high temps of an engine?

Accumulator
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
capt512- Fellow Panther platform fan here. My `01 is still a work-in-progress that`s taking forever...if I ever get it back from the shop :rolleyes: (and that might be one big "if"), I`ll probably be dealing with the same situation.

The shop cleaned mine up with Gunk Engine Cleaner, but I kinda doubt that they got things as nice as you want yours.

I think the problem is oxidation; oxidized aluminum (heads) and rusted iron (block). Well, that and the greasy/oily dirt that needs cleaned off.

Something I`ve had decent luck with is using brushes on a Dremel, along with metal polishes. Either the brass or nylon brushes, but not the steel ones. But about the best I`ve ever accomplished was getting a somewhat uniform gray finish. I`ve used AutoGlym Bumper Care (of all things!) to maintain this finish. It`s my #1 approach for oxidized alternator housings, so you might try the Dremel approach on yours for starters and see how it works. Don`t get so aggressive that you cut all the way through the oxidized finish down to bare metal; it`s a balancing act and you just want to get rid of the white [stuff].

I used Meguiar`s NXT metal polish with my Dremel, and it worked sorta-OK by hand too.

I used a flex-shaft on the Dremel to extend my reach, made it a whole lot easier and was definitely money well-spent.

Putting a good rust converter on the rusted areas might leave them better, or at least you`ll get a gray look instead of the "this is rust" look. Normally I`d top the rust converter with Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator and then top with some enamel, but I kinda doubt that the Rust Encapsulator would hold up well given the heat (works great on accessory brackets/etc. though).

Sorry I don`t have a better answer, maybe I`ll know more if/when I get mine back and start cleaning it up. The above is based on what I`ve done with other engines. Other than the issue in question, that`s a *GREAT* looking engine compartment you have there, nice to see one in such clean condition :xyxthumbs

ibidu1
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I have had good luck with wd-40 on oxidated aluminum metal, spray it and leave it. After time it will remove the rust and crap off the aluminum