PDA

View Full Version : Clear flaws (please identify and recommend course of action)

jephdood
09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I bought a used `08 VW rabbit this weekend, and all looked great in the sunshine at the dealership. But when I got the car inside my garage, under the fluorescent lights, I noticed a half dozen or so blemishes like this one in the clear coat on the right side of the hood. They range from the size of a nickel to a half-dollar or so. I can feel them with my fingertip, but BARELY. So, not very deep at all. First, what may have caused them? Or, factory paint defect? And, best method to try and get rid of them? I`m certainly going to see if the dealership will take care of it, but I don`t want them busting out a wet sander either. Thanks for the help.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2483/3963596595_0a38f721b8_b.jpg

Legacy
09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Looks like some kind of etching. Have the dealer fix it. Hope you didn`t buy it as is where is.

getcha
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Looks similar to a liquidy bird bomb sat and was eventually rinsed or rained off.

I would try to find a reputable detailer in your area and have the dealer reimburse instead of having them do it. Or at least try..

imported_JoshVette
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Looks like bird droppings to me.

It will need to be compounded out, if that doesn`t work then it will have to be wetsanded and buffed out.

Josh

David Fermani
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
That sure looks like bird poo poo etching. Sanding will knock it down a bunch, but probably won`t make it disappear totally.

Accumulator
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
That`s the kind of stuff that I often suggest people just live with. yeah, I know...but I`d rather not thin the clear enough to completely level out the etching.

This brings up how good fluorescent lights are for spotting this sort of thing. I regularly bash fluorescents for inspection, but they *are* very good for texture issues like this.

efnfast
09-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with Accumulator - I bet in person it`s just barely noticeable, if at all. It`s not worth thinning the clear with wetsanding just to remove it, only to forget about that area next time you polish it and maybe then you go through the clear.

The thing a lot of people seem to forget when trying ot make their car perfect is that in another year or so you`re going to "have to"(want to) repolish it, evenly lightly; it`s impossible to maintain 100% year after year after year.