PDA

View Full Version : does your luxury / exotic vehicle lose its value after respray or repaint?

Pages : [1] 2

LRD
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
i was told by many good detailers that a luxury / exotic vehicle lose its value after been respray or repaint.

that is why you should considering detailing it first.

are they losing their value?

why?

what is the lost value on those vehicles?

any good articles on this matter?

i will be happy to get more professional help with this matter.

thank you

David Fermani
09-28-2009, 07:44 PM
They sure are. Especially if it`s done with poor quality. Would you pay the same price for a high dollar car that was repainted?

Diminished value is big business for exotic/luxuries. Although I don`t totally agree with it in all circumstances, it`s a very valid arguement in many cases.

Diminished Value Claims, Diminished Value Insurance Estimates for your car or auto accident (http://www.advocateautoclaims.com/)

XRL
09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Typically, any vehicle except for very old and cheap ones will lose value after a repaint.

Being repainted typically implies that the exterior of the vehicle (and by logical extension the rest of the vehicle) was not taken care of well. And typically a respray will not have the same quality as an OEM paintjob. Plus people typically don`t want aftermarket paint on expensive vehicles.

David Fermani
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Typically, any vehicle except for very old and cheap ones will lose value after a repaint.

Typically, older vehicles with original paint are worth more than ones that were repainted. Even with good quality repaints.

XRL
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Typically, older vehicles with original paint are worth more than ones that were repainted. Even with good quality repaints.

That`s very true. I was speaking more about junker type cars, as opposed to classics. Like a 1991 Geo metro with fresh paint as opposed to rust and oxidation.

imported_paintxpert
09-28-2009, 08:16 PM
I work @ Automotive Restorations Inc. when we restor a car it is always worth more than when we started. We are doing a GULLWING now...the restore will cost some 300,000 dollars. The car will be worth all of that upon completion. Hit my website advancedautopolishing.com many cars on my site are worth 100,000 and beyond. Ben Leonedetailer or paintxpert@gmail.com i am moving to the next thread BE WELL !!!

efnfast
09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
To a collector it will loose value.

However, to somebody who appreciates quality work (i.e., no orange peel, lots of clear to play with, etc...) it shouldn`t matter.

David Fermani
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I work @ Automotive Restorations Inc. when we restor a car it is always worth more than when we started. We are doing a GULLWING now...the restore will cost some 300,000 dollars. The car will be worth all of that upon completion.

I`d sure hope so.

Would that GULLWING be worth more if it had original paint in "like new" condition?

JohnKleven
09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Any time a car goes for sale, and there is paintwork on the car, a lot of questions arise. Most exotic cars also have better paintwork than you can ever find at 99% of the quality body shops out there.

John

louie586
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I`d sure hope so.

Would that GULLWING be worth more if it had original paint in "like new" condition?

A Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing could cost as much as $750,000 if it were all original and in "like new" condition. I`d say about $500,000 - $600,000 normally.

Scottwax
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
It depends. If you are talking about a late model luxury/exotic that is fully and PROPERLY repainted due to something like acid rain damage or being keyed, that shouldn`t affect the value. If it was due to collision damage, you will take a hit on the value.

When it comes to collectibles, if the original paint is in good condition or you want to show in a "survivor" class, you are better off not repainting.

David Fermani
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
It depends. If you are talking about a late model luxury/exotic that is fully and PROPERLY repainted due to something like acid rain damage or being keyed, that shouldn`t affect the value. If it was due to collision damage, you will take a hit on the value.

What`s the difference? A repaint/repair is a repaint/repair. Both will require body filler.

imported_JoshVette
09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I work @ Automotive Restorations Inc. when we restor a car it is always worth more than when we started. We are doing a GULLWING now...the restore will cost some 300,000 dollars. The car will be worth all of that upon completion. Hit my website advancedautopolishing.com many cars on my site are worth 100,000 and beyond. Ben Leonedetailer or paintxpert@gmail.com i am moving to the next thread BE WELL !!!

As this maybe true, in all fairness the question really wasn`t posed to full restoration type jobs, more about hood and front bumper to full respray type of work.

imported_grease
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I work @ Automotive Restorations Inc. when we restor a car it is always worth more than when we started. We are doing a GULLWING now...the restore will cost some 300,000 dollars. The car will be worth all of that upon completion. Hit my website advancedautopolishing.com many cars on my site are worth 100,000 and beyond. Ben Leonedetailer or paintxpert@gmail.com i am moving to the next thread BE WELL !!!Whats this have to do with the OP`s question, specifically? And how many times will you mention the cars you work on or how long youve been detailing for? Gimmeabreak! I think youd be hard-pressed to find ANY car thats not worth more after its been restored compared to before restoration. Most people dont get a car restored thats in fantastic shape...

David Fermani
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I think youd be hard-pressed to find ANY car thats not worth more after its been restored compared to before restoration. Most people dont get a car restored thats in fantastic shape...

Can you name one that was in "Good, Original" condition that was worth more after a restoration? Just because the paint is shiny and new doesn`t make a Classic car worth more. Collector cars are worth the most in their original state. You can`t ever duplicate that with a restoration because they`re usually altered to specs/quality better than the factory.