PDA

View Full Version : Gouges in the bumper

Bioman
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a indent/gouge from someone else`s license plate bracket on my rear bumper. It`s very deep circular gouges that went into my plastic bumper.

I was thinking of this. 100->500->1000 wet sanding to level the plastic and sand that area down. I just want the surface level, because the plastic gouges are coming up unevenly. Then I polish with rubbing compound, intermediate polish and some AIO polish.

Is that a good way of handling it? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

automedix
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Is it a textured black bumper? or a painted bumper?

Bioman
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Painted plastic bumper. I`ve figured that the paint will be sanded away when I remove the `peaks` of the gouges. I forgot to mention that I will use touchup paint after sanding and polishing the affected areas around the gouges. Will then let the touchup paint dry and sand and polish it.

OR...should I apply the touchup paint sooner in the process?

automedix
09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Can you get to the back of the bumper cover? if so - Use a heat gun on medium or low heat on the back side of the bumper and push the indentations out. I fix many bumpers and as long as you have the kind of bumper cover that is black plastic(not yellow plastic - mostly saturns) this can be done.

If you are careful not to scorch the bumper or generate enough heat that the paint peels - you might not have to paint the bumper at all.

Bioman
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
James, there aren`t really any inward dents int he bumper. They are just really deep scratches like if you took the end of a bolt head, rammed it into the bumper and twisted it. Hope that makes sense, but I don`t think they are deep enough the push out. It just looks like whatever hit it, scraped off some plastic and paint and left the surface with sharp plastic pieces sticking out. I`ll take a pic and post it up later.