PDA

View Full Version : HD Products Review

XRL
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I had the chance to sample the entire lineup of HD products for our use at my install bay at Best Buy.(thank you DB!) We just tested them out over the weekend on the nastiest car we had, a 2001 Dodge Durango that belongs to my bay senior. He uses it for going out into the woods to ride 4 Wheelers and other crazy redneck things, so it was DIRTY. Did I mention he hasn`t washed or waxed it in 2 years or more? Yeah, it was bad. Pictures will come at a later point once I get them from the store`s computer.

HD Free, I`m impressed. It cleans like you would not believe, and despite how dirty this thing was, it didn`t appear to create any new swirls or anything (and the towel was pitch black by the end of the wash). It leaves a nice shine on it as well, and leaves a pretty nice amount of slickness. I like that it has some wax content in it, definitely a time saver for cheap jobs.

HD Total is a very powerful cleaner. It takes tried on bug guts, bird crap, tree sap, and pretty much everything else off in stride. The only thing it couldn`t take off on its own was dried on tire rubber (he *claims* that the guy in front of him at the track shredded his tires and so when it was the Durango`s turn to do a burnout it got covered with the hot rubber that was melted off from the previous car`s tires). But after letting the Total soak in, and then coming back with some Free and some elbow grease, it actually came off. Total will work wonders on brake dust, but it tends to dry a little faster than most wheel cleaners, so you have to wipe or wash it off quickly after using the brush on the wheels.

HD Tire Gel has a low gloss, but still glossy, shine to it. It behaves very much like a water based product, but supposedly isn`t. You even let it soak in to the tires like a water based product. It doesn`t seem to go as far as some other tire dressings I`ve used, but it works great on trim pieces as well. Please note, don`t use this on things you don`t want to be slippery. Like running boards. Otherwise, when your bay senior goes to get into his truck and steps on the running board, he will slip on it and nearly fall and be hilarious. So don`t use it unless you want to see someone fall on their ***. The tire applicator is nice as well, though I think I still prefer the swipe style applicators for my own use because the big ones seem to require more product to get full coverage. Then again, I`m not used to big sidewall tires, so using a swipe on those tires would definitely suck.

HD Protect is an awesome interior protectant, and this car really needed it. It`s a low luster protectant that really makes a big difference on interior plastics. I raelly like this stuff a lot. I had no issues with the sprayer on my bottle, but i`ve read that others have.

HD Uno impresses the hell out of me. Even by hand with the Uno pad thing, it makes a significant difference in the paint`s finish. I can`t wait to try it out on a DA. If i had to say it has a downside, it`d be that it is a bit tough to get off when used in Florida heat. Then again, I probably should have closed the big giant garage doors.

HD Poxy has a weird name that I don`t understand, but when something works this well it can have whatever kind of name it was. It`s super reflective and super glossy, and really makes a car shine. Goes on super easy, and comes off just as easily. A very good sealant.

HD Metal polish is a just as good as every other metal polish I`ve used. Cleans up exhaust tips very nicely. I sort of wish it was a little thicker, it`s almost the same consistency as water in the little bottle, don`t store it upside down or on its side, etc. it will leak out.

All in all, I`m very happy with these products. Now we have to get Best Buy to shell out some money for a steam cleaner, some sprayers, more towels, and then start selling some details(which may be the hardest part).

imported_admin
09-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Mike,

Thanks for your feedback on the products. Any pics?

I`m intrigued by the concept of Bet Buy offering detailing in their Install Department. Are other stores doing this? If so, are they having success? Mostly install clients, I would presume?

db

Oh, P.S., the 3D owners came up with the name POXY from "EPOXY".

XRL
09-29-2009, 10:06 AM
It`s a scattered thing right now. Some bays have tried it and had success, others have tried it and gotten into a lot of legal issues (mostly related to runoff, water restrictions, etc.). So using HD products, we`re covered on that front. I`ll have to get the pictures from the store camera over the weekend.

Flashtime
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Quick observation... After applying HD POXY, my sisters black Honda CRV still

looks great several days later. Very little dust accumulation.

Is this a fluke?

I`m not a wax/sealant guy at all but i`m getting into it...

imported_admin
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Quick observation... After applying HD POXY, my sisters black Honda CRV still

looks great several days later. Very little dust accumulation.

Is this a fluke?

I`m not a wax/sealant guy at all but i`m getting into it...

Not at all. During the recent LA fires, we had two cars at the 3D factory that we taped down the middle and waxed down one side with HD POXY and down the other with a leading wax and a leading sealant for side-by-side testing. The right side waxed with POXY appeared to repel the heavy ash compared to left side.