PDA

View Full Version : First ONR experience, not so great - help?

loco
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
OK, I gave in and got some ONR and tried it for the first time today. I used 3 gallons of warm water and 2.5 oz ONR. I have hard water and decided to use a bit more ONR than what it calls for.

Overall, it went OK, I guess. But the front end is a mess. I went over it three times with ONR solution and my grout sponge. The bug splatter barely budged. I had to really press hard to get anywhere and in the end, I just left the bugs on there because I didn`t want to scratch the paint. I figured I`d get it next weekend with a traditional wash.

I just don`t see the ONR as being strong enough to do the job on the bugs. With my Duragloss wash or DP wash and hose/bucket, it doesn`t take that kind of pressure or that many passes to get rid of the bugs.

So, what am I doing wrong? What do you guys do to combat the bugs with ONR? I`m sure there must be something I`m either not doing or doing wrong since so many here swear by the stuff.

Thanks!

EDIT: The last pass on the bugs I used a chenille mitt and it was a little better but still barely budged the bugs.

vtec92civic
09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
doing a 2 bucket ONR wash is usually just to rid surface dirt/dust. It is not for anything heavy. For that you could pre-soak the area with some APC or P21 TAW then attack it.

Hope that helps.

AdamJ
09-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I use distilled water...

Legacy
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I use distilled water...

Is distilled water stronger than regular water?

loco
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
doing a 2 bucket ONR wash is usually just to rid surface dirt/dust. It is not for anything heavy. For that you could pre-soak the area with some APC or P21 TAW then attack it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I suppose a pre-soak with something is the way to go. The car wasn`t really dirty at all, but just had typical bug splatter on the front end.

Chris@Optimum
09-27-2009, 06:58 PM
ONR is killer with dirt, but bug guts, sap, tar...all that will need more. I keep some APC handy to presoak the wheels and front, scrub with a bug block, then proceed to ONR.

JeffM
09-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Dont use a APC for bugs, just get the yellow bug sponge from Autogeek, works great, wont scratch.

loco
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. Nice to know of some other options to try out.

My5ABaby
09-27-2009, 08:37 PM
The totality of the bug residue doesn`t magically come off with a regular wash for me. I still have to clay so I don`t think it`s due to the ONR.

Dsoto87
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
ONR and a grout sponge is so gentle it sometimes pisses me off (even though its a good thing). Youll definitely need to do a presoak with some other chemical if your trying to get bug guts off (depending on how long theyve been there)

gdal
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I also used ONR for the first time last week and I had to pre-soak the front end. Didn`t have any issues removing the stubborn bugs.

imported_altez
09-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Try this mix, 1:1 solution of ONR and water. Pretreat the bug guts area. Otherwise I use clay and ONR QD.

Scottwax
09-27-2009, 11:26 PM
The totality of the bug residue doesn`t magically come off with a regular wash for me. I still have to clay so I don`t think it`s due to the ONR.

Same here. Even with a pressure washer (I had a customer with one and a DI/RO set-up he wanted me to use), bug guts don`t always come off. Usually leaving a couple ONR soaked towels draped over the front end while I wash the rest softens bug guts up nicely. In extreme cases, Optimum Power Clean works great.

loco
09-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I`ll definitely try again, this time pre-soaking with something. Maybe PB spray and wipe or QEW? Or the 1:1 ONR solution. That`s what I currently have available in the garage.

I will say, though, that there`s no doubt I have a much easier time removing the bugs with a regular wash. Maybe it`s because I rinse the car first and try to keep the front end really wet until I get around to washing it. I`m sure that helps loosen up the bugs a bit.

KnuckleBuckett
10-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Pinnacle bug sponge FTW!