PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$

Pages : [1] 2

blazingpw
11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
i have been doing cars for part time work for the past couple of months. i work three days a week so i thought it would be a good way to pick up some cash and also i love detailing. I`ve come to find out that i can do two full details a day. THat includes washing, dressing, waxing, buffing, vaccuming. I charge $40 for all that. It takes me about 3 hrs on each car. I hear everyone talk about theres kinda good money in detailing but i haven`t found it yet. I`m from wilson, nc and from my research i`ve found that my prices are reasonable. My question is how do you make alot of money in it? i make about $50 a day after i pay for gas, and products for a 7 hour day

Jngrbrdman
11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
You aren`t charging nearly enough. Sheesh, $40 bucks won`t even get me to wash your car and dress your tires. You need to be charging more and working more efficiently. Try reading through this and see if you get any good ideas. (http://www.ocdetails.com/making_money.html) You seriously need to reevaluate what you are charging and what the market can bear. Look to what other detail shops are charging and set your prices accordingly. You are only screwing yourself when you are working for free.

Beemerboy
11-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Not really knowing your area and what the prices are like....I say that your to cheap....I would go look at some of the local detail shops in your area and see what they are charging and what service they are providing.....this can give you a better idea as to what you need to be charging....your mobilie sounds like that can / should be a but more for convience.

harry444
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
$40 bucks? when can you do mine ! hey Dude you should be getting a buck and a half for that. You better up your prices and get with the program! good luck to ya !

GregCavi
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Why dont you give us a step by step of what yoru doing / using.

$40 is way way to cheap no matter were you live. My area doesnt allow me to charge what I beleive my details are worth. I price as $35 for the first hour and $15 for each additional hour after that. YOu should try to get at least 15 an hour for you work and that is even cheap. I will move to a high end city next year and will be able to charge 30 an hour.

Greg

Brenton
11-30-2005, 06:30 PM
i have been doing cars for part time work for the past couple of months. i work three days a week so i thought it would be a good way to pick up some cash and also i love detailing. I`ve come to find out that i can do two full details a day. THat includes washing, dressing, waxing, buffing, vaccuming. I charge $40 for all that. It takes me about 3 hrs on each car. I hear everyone talk about theres kinda good money in detailing but i haven`t found it yet. I`m from wilson, nc and from my research i`ve found that my prices are reasonable. My question is how do you make alot of money in it? i make about $50 a day after i pay for gas, and products for a 7 hour day

I`d charge $100-$150 for that (clean car to dirty SUV). And I`m in a really economically depressed area. It takes me a little longer, about 4 hours, partly because of PEI red clay (stains white paint and carpets), and ridiculous amounts of road tar and paint. I can do 2/day, so if I made $200/day, I`d make $100 in wages after shop costs.
Right now, I don`t have that many customers, so I`m only getting 1-1.5/day. This month we had a fabulous month--I made $1/hr!!!

SA Detailer
11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
What you need to do is find a decent detail shop and find out what they charge. If you can, double that for your quality and for the convenience of you coming to them.

blazingpw
11-30-2005, 09:45 PM
When i do a car:
- hand wash entire car, including bug and tar removal
- clean tires, rims, wheel wells
- dry entire car
- vacuum interior
- clean vinyl, leather, plastic, etc.
- dress all interior
- clean interior windows
- dress tires and wheel wells
- dress exterior trim
- apply wax by hand
- buff paint
*********** All that for $40**********
Even with my location what should i charge? I mostly break down my processes like this
-exterior wash and vacuuming, dressing interior and exterior $30
-same as above plus waxing $40

Whats your ideas? Thanks guys!

sharpie
11-30-2005, 09:51 PM
wow, I would have pay more than that for what you describe.

Brenton
11-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Only you can tell us about your area, but if you are only making minimum wage, go to Burger King where it doesn`t put miles on your shoulders, gear, and car. And, at BK, screwing up means leaving lettuce out of a burger. Detailing, it could mean repainting a panel.
If you are thinking long term, okay, charge less. But double what you are asking is still really cheap.

GregCavi
11-30-2005, 10:29 PM
When i do a car:
- hand wash entire car, including bug and tar removal
- clean tires, rims, wheel wells
- dry entire car
- vacuum interior
- clean vinyl, leather, plastic, etc.
- dress all interior
- clean interior windows
- dress tires and wheel wells
- dress exterior trim
- apply wax by hand
- buff paint
*********** All that for $40**********
Even with my location what should i charge? I mostly break down my processes like this
-exterior wash and vacuuming, dressing interior and exterior $30
-same as above plus waxing $40

Whats your ideas? Thanks guys!

what do you mean by buff paint? Is that a 2 step paint polishing?

Greg

Miami_Sunset
11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
;) Dame im in Miami and i would charge 35-40 $ per hour on those high end areas of high class americans that want there Volvo`s clean :yes: Or you can set a fixed price of 150$ for a Full detail. Im thinking about doing that myself. It really depends on the area and what Proffesional Shops are charging. :yes:

3Dog
11-30-2005, 11:26 PM
How can you even pay your insurance costs at that price? Much less supplies.

The Fuzz
12-01-2005, 12:23 AM
He isn`t running a full time business. It`s just a side job sort of hobby like most of the rest of us.

Try doubling your prices and see what happens. You simply aren`t charging enough. The guys that have told you this is a lucrative business are the ones charging three times what you are. You are the boss. If you aren`t making enough money then give yourself a raise. You have nobody to complain to if you aren`t making enough money. You have three choices... a) increase your price b) detail more cars or c) become more efficient so your hourly rate is higher. Pick one of those options and do it. I would suggest you look around you and adjust your rates accordingly. Your prices are reasonable for an hour`s worth of work, so either get faster or charge more. Don`t work for free and then complain about it.

Brenton
12-01-2005, 06:20 AM
I agree with the Mullet, but 3 hours is pretty good for the treatment he`s offering--faster than me.