PDA

View Full Version : Optimum products vs. ceramic clear.

shtuey
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a black Mercedes detail coming up, all I have right now are Optimum compound and polish`s. How will these do against the ceramic clear via rotary (makita), are they aggressive enough to do the job?

I have the hyper compound, compound, polish and poli-seal along with yellow, orange, white and black pads.

Thanks!

shtuey
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Maybe this needs to be moved to the product discussion forum ...

wannafbody
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I think you`ll probably need to step up to the Menzerna ceramiclear polishes such as 106FF or SIP.

vecdran
09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I just did a detail on a E55 AMG Wagon. With a PCXP, Uber Orange Pad, and SIP I still had to do two passes on every panel to remove the swirls. That clear is tough!

Scottwax
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
I just did a detail on a E55 AMG Wagon. With a PCXP, Uber Orange Pad, and SIP I still had to do two passes on every panel to remove the swirls. That clear is tough!

Rotary makes all the difference on ceramiclear finishes like the new Mercedes have. What is really nice about the paint is it is very consistent. I see that C in front of the 3 digit paint code and I know I won`t have any surprises.

shtuey-you should be fine with Optimum since you are using a rotary.

shtuey
09-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Scottwax.

The car has some moderate swirling and some deeper scratches, I`ll have to do some test spots to see how aggresive I need to start - This could be a rare case where I would need to use a yellow pad or hyper compound!

Rickrack
10-01-2009, 06:31 AM
If the car has ceramic clear, I would definitely go with Menzerna. To be honest, I really don`t think the Optimum will do much except fill.

I recommend picking up some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and one of the new Blue (cyan) Lake Country Hydro-tech buffing pads. Ryan and I worked on a newer Mercedes SL55 and the paint was hard as a rock. These pads are a life saver on hard clears.

shtuey
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
If the car has ceramic clear, I would definitely go with Menzerna. To be honest, I really don`t think the Optimum will do much except fill.

I didn`t think Optimum polish had fillers in it ...

Scottwax
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I really don`t think the Optimum will do much except fill.

:nixweiss I`ve never had a problem with Optimum products filling instead of removing.

Kean
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
^^^^ ....neither have I and I typically do a wipedown prior to a final inspection and LSP application.