PDA

View Full Version : Trim dressing question-Please don`t laugh!

mikenap
09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a pretty simple question regarding applying trim dressing and tire dressing, and while there may be a simple answer, my simple mind hasn`t gotten there yet. I know everyone has a different technique when it comes to detailing so maybe I`ll get some different answers.

Here goes: I usually apply trim dressing after I wax my car. But the fat applicator wants to get dressing not just on the trim but also on the paint and glass as well. If I do the glass after, it`s pretty easy to get the dressing off the glass but is it going to hurt the wax on the paint? If I trim first then wax, it`s the opposite and I may get a bit of wax on the trim, causing stains. So is there any way to avoid trim dressing getting on my waxed car, or just QD the little bit of excess off?

I`m also considering trying some Stoner`s MSLT tire dressing in the aerosol but I`m sure some of that will overspray onto my sealant-dressed rims. Any problems there? Or can I just wipe off the overspray and not worry about it removing any sealant?

I know I`m probably over-thinking this way too much, but since buying my "new, used car" I`ve become a bit of a perfectionist. At the same time, I`m afraid I`m creating a LOT more work for myself and probably stressing myself out over nothing at all. Any suggestions on techniques, or even where to source some Valium so I can relax over this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

imported_Devilsown
09-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I have the same issue I just spray some DQ on a MF and wipe the overspary off. I now have leaned away from spray trim shine and use 303 or what have you and wipe it on.

XRL
09-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I usually take a MF towel and wipe my trim stuff on. That way i can vary the size of the applicator. Sorta.

Kean
09-24-2009, 08:56 AM
....when possible I try to use a non-staining LSP on trim rather than a dressing. I know Accumulator uses Klasse AIO quite regularly for this task. .....depending on the type of material and situation of course (I have been experimenting with it myself on restoring and protecting mildly oxidized trim bits). However, when I do use a dressing/protectant (on non-friendly LSP surfaces/textures), I typically use small foam applicators I purchased at the local home improvement store (the wedge shaped foam paint applicators on round wooden sticks you use for painting trim and such in your house). ....or I just use the corner of a towel, etc. I always do the windows last and I simply make sure I`m careful around the paint. If I do get any on the paint, I just use QD dampened towel to remove any residue and make a final pass with a dry one. I`m only doing my own vehicles and an occasional favor but this is what I found has been working for me lately. .....although I`m always changing things in my process/regimen so what I find works one month can completely change the next. .....this website doesn`t help. ;)

imported_WhyteWizard
09-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I don`t use spray dressings. Personal choice, I don`t like breathing things in that might not want to come out.

Also, Devilsown suggested a really good product in 303. You can treat your exterior trim with that before you wax, you can even do it before you wash the car and let it soak in while you do the interior and it will stay on through the wash and help keep wax from sticking if you manage to hit the molding with your applicator.

Also, I put my tire dressing on with a tufted nylon brush, the kind that comes with different length handles. I tape around the base of the bristles to hold them together so I can hit right next to the rim without getting treatment on it. I keep my tire treatment brush and treatment in a separate container, a cut off plastic bottle, so it`s always ready to go.

One more thing. You can scrub the 303 in with a magic eraser and that takes off the oxidized rubber and treats in one step. If the rubber is that bad, do it before you wash for obvious reasons.

Robert

jvriii1942
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Try a thin applicator with a straight and square edge.

Devilsown`s method of using a quick detailer and microfiber is a good suggestion. He also mentioned using a wipe on tire dressing. That is the best way to keep it off of your rims and brakes. A good way to apply the dressing to the applicator if you are using a spray bottle is to inject the product directly into the applicator to prevent over spray. A sport cap from a drinking bottle also works good.

jonw440
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
You can also tape the trim or the paint.

mikenap
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I`m worrying too much about nothing, like I figured. A little QD here and there will solve my problem. Thanks everyone.

POPPAJ
09-25-2009, 04:03 AM
To apply trim dressing to smaller, narrow areas I just cut a foam applicator pad to size with a pair scissors. WARNING>>>>>>>>>>>>Do NOT run with scissors. :2thumbs:

Barry Theal
09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I clean everything, no dressing on the car except for tires. Did you ever see what all that silcone does to a car whe it rains. It all runs everywhere. The only time I would dress something is at a customer request. other then that don`t worry about it.

Cleaning Fool
09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
I would much rather use Purple Foamed wool than an orange pad.

Cleaning Fool
09-25-2009, 06:10 AM
I clean everything, no dressing on the car except for tires. Did you ever see what all that silcone does to a car whe it rains. It all runs everywhere. The only time I would dress something is at a customer request. other then that don`t worry about it.

Very true, thats why I stopped dressing anything other than tires, it just bleeds all over the paint and is a royal pain to remove.

imported_WhyteWizard
09-25-2009, 09:32 AM

I agree, that`s why I suggested 303 before the wash, twice in my post. Normally, I`m with you. No treatment on anything but the tires. I have been known to use Lemon Pledge on plastic but I wipe off everything that will come off afterward and I tell the customer it`s not going to last. Sometimes a dried out roof rack just looks crappy on an otherwise nice looking truck.

Robert

Accumulator
09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
....when possible I try to use a non-staining LSP on trim rather than a dressing. I know Accumulator uses Klasse AIO quite regularly for this task. .....

Actually I usually use both KAIO and KSG ;) Or some other LSP after the KAIO (or the ZAIO, or VM).

On the rare occasions where I`m using sime kind of dressing, I take rather extreme care to not get it on paint/glass/etc. but if I get sloppy then yeah...QD, usually something like FK146 or ONR that has decent cleaning ability.