PDA

View Full Version : HD UNO: "How in the BLEEP is that possible?"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_admin
09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I have received the same basic question about HD UNO several dozen times now, so it`s time for me to put it in a post and explain it. The question is this:

How can one polish do the job of a full range of abrasives from compound to finishing polish? It`s not possible! You must be using fillers.

Okay, first let me roll up my sleeves so you ca see there`s nothing up there. Honest! Everything I am about to say is 100% true.

HD UNO, like the rest of the HD line, was created from scratch. Brand new formula. UNO is not the top of the old game; it`s the beginning of a new one.

The concept for HD UNO actually came from perfecting HD FREE Waterless Car Wash Lotion. I know that sounds odd, but it`s true. HD FREE does its job of preventing scratching by creating a "suspension" between the paint surface and dirt particles.

Getting the hint yet?

HD UNO is a water based emulsion that`s based on a brand new lubrication system. Thus, when you vary the polishing tool -- the pad -- you get more or less aggression.

HD UNO works properly with low-profile polishing pads... wool, foam or microfiber. The ideal foam pad thickness is .75" to 1". Thicker pads do not work well. Small diameter, low profile wool pads are also ideal. Traditional large, thick wool pads will not work.

The best way to understand the cutting capability of HD UNO is to compare it to Meguiar`s most recent generation of polishes. HD UNO has all the capabilities of M95, M105 and M205, only it`s a single liquid.

I have been called to task on UNO`s "claimed abilities" on more than one phone call, so let me explain the rest. Lubrication is only half the story.

The second secret to HD UNO`s performance is the size and hardness of the abrasive. On the Rockwell scale, UNO`s abrasive would be considered a glass polishing abrasive (hence the reason I say... "Use it on your windows!"). This is why HD UNO can "cut it" on everything from fresh paint to a rock hard ceramic finish.

In the coming weeks, I will release a thread with my test results on pads that can be used with HD UNO.

:dance

HD UNO (http://hdcarcare.com/hd-uno-total-auto-polish.html)

Barry Theal
09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I have received the same basic question about HD UNO several dozen times now, so it`s time for me to put it in a post and explain it. The question is this:

How can one polish do the job of a full range of abrasives from compound to finishing polish? It`s not possible! You must be using fillers.

Okay, first let me roll up my sleeves so you ca see there`s nothing up there. Honest! Everything I am about to say is 100% true.

HD UNO, like the rest of the HD line, was created from scratch. Brand new formula. UNO is not the top of the old game; it`s the beginning of a new one.

The concept for HD UNO actually came from perfecting HD FREE Waterless Car Wash Lotion. I know that sounds odd, but it`s true. HD FREE does its job of preventing scratching by creating a "suspension" between the paint surface and dirt particles.

Getting the hint yet?

HD UNO is a water based emulsion that`s based on a brand new lubrication system. Thus, when you vary the polishing tool -- the pad -- you get more or less aggression.

HD UNO works properly with low-profile polishing pads... wool, foam or microfiber. The ideal foam pad thickness is .75" to 1". Thicker pads do not work well. Small diameter, low profile wool pads are also ideal. Traditional large, thick wool pads will not work.

The best way to understand the cutting capability of HD UNO is to compare it to Meguiar`s most recent generation of polishes. HD UNO has all the capabilities of M95, M105 and M205, only it`s a single liquid.

I have been called to task on UNO`s "claimed abilities" on more than one phone call, so let me explain the rest. Lubrication is only half the story.

The second secret to HD UNO`s performance is the size and hardness of the abrasive. On the Rockwell scale, UNO`s abrasive would be considered a glass polishing abrasive (hence the reason I say... "Use it on your windows!"). This is why HD UNO can "cut it" on everything from fresh paint to a rock hard ceramic finish.

In the coming weeks, I will release a thread with my test results on pads that can be used with HD UNO.

:dance

HD UNO (http://hdcarcare.com/hd-uno-total-auto-polish.html)

David I have practiced this concept for years with various compounds and polishes. I have a product in my line that will remove 1000 grit sand scratches with wool and and finish down with a 90 ppi pad on a second step. While I have tried HD UNO and do like it. I`m wondering if businesses are now catching on that the right pad is where its at and not the compound or polish. While I beleive this business is all technique, obviously the right pad and product will help out. per say You say HD UNO will not work with a thicker wool pad. For example a 2 inch pile pad. yet it will work with a low pile pad per say a 1 inch pile. Now a smaller diameter pad is also recomended. SO my general idea is hear that a smaller low profile pad will do a lot for many polishes, whats makes UNO so different? What truly is this unique lubrication? Does this lubrication re-act off more heat? A smaller low profile pad will generate alot of heat. Is this apart of it? Now in comparison to m95,m105,m205 You product is claimed not to have fillers. I think we all know at this point that meg. all have fillers. So how can the two companies even be compared? Next you talk about the size and hardness of the abrasive. Saying it can be compared to a glass polish. Glass needs extreame heat for polishing. even at that point your not gonna remove major defects just surface stuff. The more I think about this, it seems every situation that comes into play is heat, and lots of it. Truthfully does this all sound safe? Now David by no means am I questioning these products or you I`m just trying to get a better understanding on the HD Uno. Thanks for your time.

imported_admin
09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Barry,

I have been saying for a long time that the "pad" makes the polish, not the other way around. I believe this fact has been established. So I cringe when I see all of the different combos being used. The product manufacturers/brand owners should spend the time and effort to do the research and matching.

UNO does not require heat. It likes speed, but it could care less about heat to do its job. Yes, I know... speed makes heat.

In regards to the lubrication, I can`t say what it is, as that will give away the secret. What I`d ask you to do is try UNO by hand along side any other polish and see which one works faster and gives a better finish (stroke for stroke). This will help you see that the polish itself is different.

As a final note, yes, polishing glass generates a lot of heat. This is a result of the friction, not a requirement to polish glass. Glass simply needs an abrasive that is harder than it is.

thedetailer
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
i can`t wait to try this stuff!!

Flashtime
09-22-2009, 08:36 PM
This a very interesting thread... Lately, i`ve been polishing all my paint jobs

at around 1000 rpm rather than 1500+ rpm. Overall, i`ve cut my sanding and

polishing time almost in half with better results.

I`ve got a bunch of questions too. And i`ll test the UNO with my LC pads...

Barry Theal
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
David,

I`m gonna be honest here with ya on a respectfull business level. As I love this website and try to contribute to this business when ever I can. In fact I have learned alot from others on here even at the level I am at. Now if I were do comparisons with a few products to HD UNO and got better results would I be banned if I mentioned the the other manufacter or product. Keep in mind I`m not here to endorse anything I`m here because, like you I`m passionate about this business and the craft of it. So if I took this challenge and posted it would there be an issue with it? I like a good challenge and if Uno is as good as I think it is then it should be fun to truthfully challenge it right?

imported_admin
09-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Now if I were do comparisons with a few products to HD UNO and got better results would I be banned if I mentioned the the other manufacter or product.

Bring it on! I look forward to the challenge. Why would you be banned for posting the truth (your own test results)? People get banned for being boneheads... which you`re not!

P.S., If you have a better solution -- that I have not tested yet -- I want to know about it!

ctrent86
09-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Well not all forums work like this one. For example, a Subaru forum I frequent is banning people because they are calling out a company that posted this doctored video and admitted to it. Because they are a sponsored vendor they are a protected child.

Anyways, I am interested to try the polish which will be next weekend.

David have you ever done tests in the sun with the product?

imported_admin
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
David have you ever done tests in the sun with the product?

Yep. Don`t recommend it.

Barry Theal
09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok David By Monday I`m gonna give you a honest post I"m gonna put HD uno Up against a Polish I think is one of the best on the market! Its not to popular in the forums as this company does not advertise hype! Like some companies. I`m one who likes results and not a fancy label or bottle. I could care less if my compounds came in a shampoo bottle with a piece of masking tape labeled product x. Its not the over marketing hype or display. Its what works and doesn`t. Now I`m gonna take this challenge and post it. Oh and yes I have been playing with Uno and done some stuff that you would love to know about.

imported_admin
09-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Barry,

I can`t wait to see and hear about your results. I`m all about the learning. If you put UNO on a pad I have not thought of yet, I`d love to hear about it.

Also, you`re right, there are a BUNCH of polishes out their that are not hyped or well known. Presta, Norton and Farécla come to mind. There are many others.

db

gmblack3
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
David I have practiced this concept for years with various compounds and polishes. I have a product in my line that will remove 1000 grit sand scratches with wool and and finish down with a 90 ppi pad on a second step. While I have tried HD UNO and do like it. I`m wondering if businesses are now catching on that the right pad is where its at and not the compound or polish. While I beleive this business is all technique, obviously the right pad and product will help out. per say You say HD UNO will not work with a thicker wool pad. For example a 2 inch pile pad. yet it will work with a low pile pad per say a 1 inch pile. Now a smaller diameter pad is also recomended. SO my general idea is hear that a smaller low profile pad will do a lot for many polishes, whats makes UNO so different? What truly is this unique lubrication? Does this lubrication re-act off more heat? A smaller low profile pad will generate alot of heat. Is this apart of it? Now in comparison to m95,m105,m205 You product is claimed not to have fillers. I think we all know at this point that meg. all have fillers. So how can the two companies even be compared? Next you talk about the size and hardness of the abrasive. Saying it can be compared to a glass polish. Glass needs extreame heat for polishing. even at that point your not gonna remove major defects just surface stuff. The more I think about this, it seems every situation that comes into play is heat, and lots of it. Truthfully does this all sound safe? Now David by no means am I questioning these products or you I`m just trying to get a better understanding on the HD Uno. Thanks for your time.

Barry, if I cant get anything to come back with 5x straight IPA wipedowns using M105, please tell me how to determine that it has fillers.

Thomas Dekany
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I can`t wait to see what Barry has for us on Monday. :D

Partially Deaf
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I tried it today with the hand applicator. It worked brilliantly. The deeper scratches are still there, but a vast majority of the swirl marks are gone. I`ll do another spot on my car later and post some before and after.

Barry Theal
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Barry, if I cant get anything to come back with 5x straight IPA wipedowns using M105, please tell me how to determine that it has fillers.

Use a sun gun. you will see what i`m talking about. stand back about 4 feet on a panel turn off all lights then check your work. I`m gonna be honest here. WHile I do think they are great products I really like the combo`s. Yes Bryan like you I need to invest in rubbing alcohol lol and get a return on my money. There is something in these products that will cover or mask a defect. Not sure what it is? Whats strange is in direct sunlight there perfect. under halogens its perfect, but yet under a sungun Its something different. Also bryan try using a prep solvent like dupont instead of your noramal IPA.