PDA

View Full Version : They do shine ......

ardetailing
07-11-2003, 10:00 PM
A while back a member said that planes just don`t shine or look as clean as cars. Well I think they do. I finished up a plane today for an airshow this weekend. Here are a few pictures. They belly of the plane was covered with spent fuel and oil from the exhaust. Thanks to some White Lightning and a comfortable creeper the owner could not say enough about the outcome of the whole thing. I think planes are fun to deal with.

ardetailing
07-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Here is the exhaust.

ardetailing
07-11-2003, 10:02 PM
The rest of the belly. Love the creeper.

Poorboy
07-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Nice plane...beautiful work....:D

jgv
07-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Nice work! did the owner took it to your garage to detail? :D did you take a ride on it? :D

Tassadar
07-12-2003, 04:20 PM
I think a plane would overwhelm me. I remember watching a thing on TV where they were detailing a 707 (Travolta`s private plane) and they managed to get it done in one day, but there were 15 guys detailing the exterior alone.

ardetailing
07-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys.
jgv, I do have a client that takes me up from time to time.

Tassadar, The planes that I deal with are not bad to do. They are planes like a Cessna 182 or Piper Navajo. They can take anywhere from 3 to 8 hours, that is the most time I`ve spent on one plane. I work alone on those.

Boss_429
07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Looks super! That`s a $500 detailing job if I`ve ever seen one!

Clean Dean
07-12-2003, 07:28 PM
What type of paint system on that plane ???

What did use on the exterior ???

And what is your detailing process on this exterior ???

Do you also do the interior ???

Sorry for all the questions, the plane looks incredible !!!

AtlantaBoy
07-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Very nice work.........

ardetailing
07-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Clean Dean,

Sorry for no details.

The plane is a 76` Cessna 182 that had been restored 2 years ago. The paint is a clear coat.

The interior is similar to a car, but you must be a little more careful about what you touch. Most interiors are in good shape and are not used like cars, so they can be easier.

The windows are all plastic so Plexus inside and out.

The exterior on this one went like this....
* lower all flaps to full and unlock the control arm.
1) degrease the belly with White Lightning (love it)
2) wash
This plane had no oxidation - kept in hanger - sooooo
3) recheck exterior and between all flaps for any grease that may have washed out of the seems.
4) I used Megs polymer/sealent.
5) go over the 100s of rivets for wax residue
6) sprayed it all down with 4Star spray wax. (just for fun)

I go over each plane with the owner to make sure I touch and don`t touch anything they want, no matter how many times I have seen the plane. Everyone is a little differant about their stuff and doing something wrong on a plane is much worse than a car. (gravity you know)

That is the short version. Each plane presents its own problems and solutions. This plane took about 4 1/2 hours. (I think) I have used Megs on most of the planes that I have done. Some have UPP and one has KLASSE. I let the owners know what I have and they decide.

I am tired now, go night night.:)

Clean Dean
07-14-2003, 01:29 AM
I look forward to detailing one someday !!!