PDA

View Full Version : detailing products for VW CC

mrose1120
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

I did some searching on this but this forum has SO much information it was mind boggling.

I have a 2009 Volkswagen CC with the two tone cream/black leather interior. I want to start cleaning and conditioning the leather, but I want to use a good product. I have heard Lexol, Leather Masters and a few others, but its still very new, so it needs no restoring, but I want to keep it in good condition from this point forward.

In addition, I was recommended to use maguiar`s shine and then 303 aerospace to protect the dashboard...

Finally, I have a small scuff on the rear fender that i`m not sure where I got it, unfortunately came back to my car one day and its there..its not too noticeable to the naked eye..but is to me... someone else mentioned ScratchX or SwirlX..

And what is the best recommendation for a wash/wax of the exterior?

Are these products good? Can I get most of them at local auto parts stores/walmart/target? I have an autozone, advance auto, carquest, napa within small distances as well as Walmart and Target. I`m hoping to do this all on the weekend but if I need to order it online, obviously i`ll wait in order to get a better product. Thanks in advance and this looks to be a great community to be a part of!

Dan
09-22-2009, 09:26 AM
There is no clear answer on what to use on your leather. The best answer is to keep it clean and use some sort of UV blocking protectant. Avoid anything that is greasy as that will attract more dirt. I`m not sure of any product available locally that are universally regarded for leather care. I personally don`t like the 2 in 1 stuff that cleans and protects in the same step.

Scratchx should do for the scuff, NXT wouldn`t be bad to wax with if you want something OTC.

XRL
09-22-2009, 09:33 AM
I`m a big fan of OTC options. I like Surf City Garage Dash Away for my interior, it`s got UV blockers and such, and a pleasing smell. It doesn`t condition your leather, but it does clean & protect.

As far as the scuff, a picture would be helpful in determining what it is. But mainly you need to figure out if its paint transfer, paint taken off completely, or just slight marring in the clearcoat. If its paint transfer, you need a claybar to remove it, and some sort of wax to protect that area. If its marring, I`d get some Meg`s Ultimate Compound & SwirlX and try those. If its paint removed... well... you`re gonna have to touch it up.

mrose1120
09-22-2009, 09:42 AM
I`ll try to get a picture taken of the scuff and get it posted soon...

Also, I don`t think the Lexol is a 2 in one, it appears to have a cleaner and a conditioner seperate... so i`m not if it thats what was being referred to....

mrose1120
09-22-2009, 10:14 AM
also, where the best place to get the products from, are lexol or aerospace sold in regular stores??

mrose1120
09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
is my car supposedly having "nappa" leather, make a difference in what I use?

XRL
09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
No, Nappa is kind of like a trade name, so it won`t really matter as far as the care of it is concerned. Lexol is usually sold in Advance Auto type places. 303 is sometimes at RV places and other assorted weird places.