PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest Mitt or Sponge you use that wont scratch the laquer when washing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

stu-e-boy
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Autopians, just doing a quick survey to see what everyone`s favourite weapon of choice is when doing a simple wash on their/clients vehicles.

I personally prefer a lambs wool mitt, but would be very interested in hearing what you guys prefer!

Look forward to any responses,

Stu.

:brit

F1WAX.com

Innovative Detailing
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I have used and prefered the grout sponge for years...............23 years +

Mitts = Scratches

Sponges = SCRATCHLESS

Very fine pores allow for grit and dirt to be expelled from the sponge unlike the mitts that trap these contaminants.

Use a seperate sponge for the lowers and wheel well arch lips because these tend to get far more dirty.

Robb
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I prefer good lambwool mitts, the megs are great

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/4641/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/4641/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

BigAl3
09-21-2009, 03:08 PM
lowes proline grout sponge, worth every penny of the $2 it costs...

b16gsr
09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
new poster here long time lurker. i really like the adams mits. just get a grit guard or do 2 buckets and you will be fine.

pingable
09-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I`m a HUGE fan on quality sheepskin mitts. Grout Sponges are quite the forum favorite as well

Daniel3507
09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I just picked up a proline sponge from lowes and used it over the weekend and i like it much better than my old sheepskin

imported_WhyteWizard
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Put the grout sponge on a flat surface and cut a diamond pattern into it. Cut about 1/2 inch deep and make the diamonds about half inch across. It lets the sponge get around the edges better. BTW, the sponge rinses out better than the mitts but you should still have separate ones for the top and the bottom.

Robert

ALAN81
09-21-2009, 08:02 PM
SHMITT (white color) really like the product,and with good car wash soap it glides over the car

kab2288
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
after doing research here myself, i found the lowes proline grout sponge. i have used it ever since and you cant beat the price

BigAl3
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Put the grout sponge on a flat surface and cut a diamond pattern into it. Cut about 1/2 inch deep and make the diamonds about half inch across. It lets the sponge get around the edges better. BTW, the sponge rinses out better than the mitts but you should still have separate ones for the top and the bottom.

Robert

don`t know what GS you are referring to, but the lowes proline GS is easily pliable, soft, and rinses out very easily and you don`t need to do any sort of alterations to it. you are good to go right out of the plastic bag. been using them for quite some time with no problems...

Innovative Detailing
09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Another positive thing about the GS are that when they are worn out they can recycled. I squeeze all the soap out, let them dry and cut them into 4 equal pcs. I then use these old sponge reminants for applying tire treatment or accent dressing on the exteriors of the vehicles I detail....Saves money on foam applicator pads in the long run

thedetailer
09-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Another positive thing about the GS are that when they are worn out they can recycled. I squeeze all the soap out, let them dry and cut them into 4 equal pcs. I then use these old sponge reminants for applying tire treatment or accent dressing on the exteriors of the vehicles I detail....Saves money on foam applicator pads in the long run

That is a great idea!! :thx

imported_WhyteWizard
09-21-2009, 11:21 PM
don`t know what GS you are referring to, but the lowes proline GS is easily pliable, soft, and rinses out very easily and you don`t need to do any sort of alterations to it. you are good to go right out of the plastic bag. been using them for quite some time with no problems...

The GS I use is pretty much the same hydrophilic material, just bought in bulk.

I take the sponge and lay it down on a flat surface so it`s long ways away from me. Then, I cut /////// diagonally across from top to bottom about a third of the way through and about a half inch apart. Then, I cut \\\\\\ diagonally across my first cuts. This gives the sponge the ability to reach into cracks and crevices because the little diamonds will fit into gaps and close to edges where the intact sponge won`t. Try it, you`ll see the difference.

Robert

BigAl3
09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
The GS I use is pretty much the same hydrophilic material, just bought in bulk.

I take the sponge and lay it down on a flat surface so it`s long ways away from me. Then, I cut /////// diagonally across from top to bottom about a third of the way through and about a half inch apart. Then, I cut \\\\\\ diagonally across my first cuts. This gives the sponge the ability to reach into cracks and crevices because the little diamonds will fit into gaps and close to edges where the intact sponge won`t. Try it, you`ll see the difference.

Robert

the lowes proline GS is very soft and cutting it will aid in helping it rip/fall apart more, i have other tools i use as well that do the job. in my case, cutting it does no good for me...