PDA

View Full Version : BMW engine cleaning

ElectronC5
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I am new to the Forum, so a quick `hello` to everyone! My sister has a 2004 5-series BMW that I`d like to detail for her. My only real question is "how should I clean the engine"? I remember hearing or reading that you should never use water on a BMW engine the way I do my other cars. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of proper techniques? I`ve done my own cars and those of friends, but never a BMW engine. Thanks so much!!

RickyMartinZ28
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
There really isn`t much need to get everything wet under there, it mostly a big plastic cover that you can just wipe down for the most part....

usually the front area around the lights and radiator are good to spray lightly, as well as the fenders and such...

I had a 540i and I cleaned it pretty often, just make sure you crank it up as soon as your done to help dry any water that might be in the connections before it can seep into the plugs...

I only had one issue when cleaning mine, and I let it idle for about 10 minutes and it cleared up. Apparently some water got into an ignition connection somewhere...

flamewerks
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a 540 that I cleaned with a toothbrush. It`ll work, since most of it is under a cover, but I did spray some areas that I couldn`t get clean otherwise. Use 303 Protectant, it looks beautiful, and lasts easily 2 months.

imported_Jakerooni
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Yea with the BMW engines less is more in the water dept. I usually just use a MF towel soaked in cleaner then follow up with just a damp MF towel and then dressing of choice.

imported_gusbubba
09-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I work with BMW`s daily.....never had a problem regardless of how much water I put to the engine.

That being said, it can never hurt to take precautions.

imported_Jakerooni
09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
I work with BMW`s daily.....never had a problem regardless of how much water I put to the engine.

That being said, it can never hurt to take precautions.

Have you ever read the owners manual on a BMW? They have it clearly marked (it really has it own section in the manual) on how to properly clean the engine and using water may actual void the warrenty. (at least thats what it said in the 545i I detailed and had to read the manual on) They claim with all the cladding there`s no need to soak it down. just FYI on it.

imported_gusbubba
09-22-2009, 07:29 PM
This is dealer work....it`s what they want done and it`s their liability, so......

Besides, trying to talk sense to them is pointless, they just want it done quickly and cheaply.

What you mention Jake is the reason I don`t do engines (with few exceptions) on details I do on my own....the liability is not worth it.

imported_Jakerooni
09-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Yea I hear ya there. One of the biggest reasons I hated dealer work as well. They don`t care about doing it correctly.... just fast.

Thats Fresh
09-23-2009, 05:56 AM
the majority of my cars are BMWs. never had a problem with water damage. i just use a light mist to rinse away APC and TAW. i dont use the water to clean it. a MF towel and brush does all the dirty work.