PDA

View Full Version : remove 3m chrome accessories

spencer785
09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
just wondering if i was to remove my chrome mirrors and door handles covers how would you guys recommend taking the door handles and mirrors off as i can`t get a peice of fishing line or dental floss behind them. and when I removed my fake side vents I left some scratches on the paint from the fishing line. But there was some debris behind the vents which is why I think it scratched. Or do you guys recommend getting a pro detailer to do it. thanks

heres a link to pictures of my truck if needed

spencer785`s 2008 Ford Explorer - Qualicum Beach, British Columbia (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3365023)

Accumulator
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
IMO you need to figure out how the pieces are mounted. This might be a good time/reason to buy a FSM, which I often find invaluable. Some things aren`t as intuitively obvious as one might think.

I bet you need to at least take the inner door panels off to remove the handle trim, for instance.

spencer785
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
i just want to remove the chrome covers not the actual door handles or mirrors. just wondering how i can do it without fishing line or dental floss. Or should i just take it to a local detailer and get them to do it.

Accumulator
09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
i just want to remove the chrome covers not the actual door handles or mirrors. just wondering how i can do it without fishing line or dental floss...

Yeah, I understand that. How to DIY it is why I`d buy the FSM. They (the chrome trim/covers) might be mounted/attached in a way you`re not expecting.

Or should i just take it to a local detailer and get them to do it.

I`d rather spend the money on the FSM than let some unkown guy mess with it.

spencer785
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
whats is a fsm

Accumulator
09-22-2009, 10:41 AM
whats is a fsm

The polite vesion is *Factory* Service Manual ;)

Oh...did I completely misread/miss something? Are these aftermarket trim pieces that just glue on or something like that? If so, compromising the adhesive with 3M Adhesive Remover might do the trick. Heh heh, maybe I`ve been going on about something completely off-base :o

spencer785
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
ya they are just chrome covers held on with 3m tape just want to know how to take them off without using a sawing motion threw the tape with dental floss or fishing line. member DSVWGLI is a local detailer for me so not sure if i should do it or just let him do it.

Accumulator
09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
ya they are just chrome covers held on with 3m tape..

OK, roger that, sorry I was so off-base before :o

just want to know how to take them off without using a sawing motion threw the tape with dental floss or fishing line. member DSVWGLI is a local detailer for me so not sure if i should do it or just let him do it.

Maybe squirting some of the 3M Adhesive Remover in behind them would do the trick, that`s probably what I`d try.

Maybe you and DSVWGLI working together would be better than trying it all by yourself.