PDA

View Full Version : Megs vs LC pads

imported_Devilsown
09-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Im thinking of going with Megs pads as I`ve read alot of good stuff about them but Im wondering why they only offer 3 pads? LC has a whole slew of pads from yellow to red and everything else the rainbow offers. Is this LC`s ways to make it seem you need more pads then you really do or is megs cutting you short a few pads?

Flashtime
09-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Is this LC`s ways to make it seem you need more pads

I think so. Their product line very limited so they keep reinventing

the same wheel. Kinda like Taco Bell.

imported_Devilsown
09-18-2009, 11:15 PM

yea but Taco Bell`s volcano tacos are AMAZING!

Dsoto87
09-18-2009, 11:34 PM

Well in terms of pad color/cut I wouldnt really say thats true. Take for example the light polishing green pad. Its great for AIO or even a light polish on soft paints where a white may not finish down nice enough and a black pad will not have enough cut.

Thats not to say you cant get by without them, but they do come in handy.

What i do think is a little bit of a waste is the TYPES of pads ie: kompressor, ccs, wave, hex, etc. Flat pads are just fine, no need to get fancy with the shape.

Flashtime
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
They certainly do make great foam pads. But what`s next? LC Square Pads!

With Ridges!

Accumulator
09-19-2009, 01:03 PM
IMO, while all the various pads can make for a *perfect* pad for every application, in most cases that`s not really necessary; the functional differences just aren`t usually all that significant.

Heh heh, note that Griot`s only sells one polishing pad and one waxing pad..and for years they didn`t even offer the latter. Cyclo used to only sell one type of pad as well and people did OK.

It *is* nice to have options though...

dennn
09-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Im thinking of going with Megs pads as I`ve read alot of good stuff about them but Im wondering why they only offer 3 pads? LC has a whole slew of pads from yellow to red and everything else the rainbow offers. Is this LC`s ways to make it seem you need more pads then you really do or is megs cutting you short a few pads?

The large selection of pads LC sells allows people to fine tune their polishing process by incrementally select pad aggressiveness. Unlike Meguiar`s pads, you are stuck with three pads for a wide range of jobs.

Also, with the Meguiar`s pads, if you are using a Dual Action Polisher, you realistically only have two type of pads to select from Meguiar`s. Meguiar`s strongly recommends against the use of their cutting pads with the Dual Action buffer.

Most Meguiar`s Softbuff users are diehard Meguiar`s fans. While there`s nothing wrong with having brand loyalty, these people don`t know what they are missing by strictly using only Meguiar`s pads. If you go to the Pro Detailing Section, you will see that almost all the professional detailers use at least two types of LC pads for their jobs. The same cannot be said about the Meguiar`s pads.

With that said, I am not against the Meguiar`s pads. I just think that their selection of pads is too limited for a serious detailing. They have some of the best liquid products in the industry, and I think it`s perfectly fine for them not to dominate the polishing pads market.

Rcracin
09-19-2009, 05:52 PM
An example:

Orangr pad for first step polish/compound with light cutting. A wool pad for the really tough spots, anything from a blue, white, or red for a nice polish to burnish the paint, then a black pad for sealant or wax.

You choose.

imported_Devilsown
09-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I`ve had a change of heart, Im going to go with LC 6.5" classic flat pads, Im going to get 2 yellow, 2 orange, 2 green, 3 White, 2 black, 1 red (thinking about adding a green or white vs this one red) anyone have any other suggestions for my order b4 I place it?

Boston Man
09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
They certainly do make great foam pads. But what`s next? LC Square Pads!

With Ridges!

Lets not give them any more ideas

dschribs
09-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Where are you getting LC flat pads from? The ones with the "pores/dimples" seems to be the line they are focusing on now. I wish they made 5.5" flat pads.

I can`t but wonder if LC doesn`t make so many pads......so they can sell more pads. More options - more for customers to buy no? Griots makes 3 pads, Megs makes 3 pads...and they seem to work fine for lots of people.

I have 1% of the experience that the pros have on here but I`ve been using 5.5" flat Uber pads from Details Domain on my PC and they seem to work great.

Personally, as beginner, I try to reduce the number of variables as much as possible. Having too many pads just makes it that much more confusing...

imported_Devilsown
09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Make Your Own
6-1/2" Flat 3 or 6 Pad Pak (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/mayoownfl3or.html)

these are the one`s im getting. I would call myself a "pro" but I do know what Im doing... for the most part (always learning) I use a rotary and have done many black cars with zero halos. I just like to gather as much input from people on this site before I spend $$$ on stuff, where is Scottwax when you need him...

David Fermani
09-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Here`s some great info on pad comparisons:

Proper Auto Care: Understanding Lake Country Polishing Pads - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=791)

Lake Country vs. Meguiar`s Polishing Pad Chart - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1626)

*Mods remove links if deemed inappropriate*

vtec92civic
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
nice find on the understanding of pads . . . . . LC makes a ton of pads