PDA

View Full Version : My HD Free review.

Frito Bandito
09-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I tried my bottle of HD Free yesterday and thought I would post my review. I`ve been detailing for about 3 years now. I mostly work on my own vehicles but I`ve done a few dozen cars on the side over the last 3 years. For the last 2 years or so ONR has been my primary method of washing my vehicles. I will be giving my impressions of HD Free vs ONR and Poorboys S&W.

I used HD Free on my single cab 2002 Silverado. It was moderately dirty with a little bit of a grime film from recent rain. The temps were in the 70s and the paint was cool to the touch.

Initial Impressions:

When I opened the box I was a little surprised to find an eco-friendly product nestled in a box full of styrofoam packing peanuts. The packaging looks professional and the sprayer is of good quality. The product has what I would describe as a light, clean scent.

Use

I moved around the truck working one panel at a time. I sprayed HD Free on the panel liberally and allowed it to sit a few seconds to break up the grime before using a plush MF to wipe very lightly in one direction to remove the dirt. After removing the dirt I used a seperate, clean MF to lightly buff the residue off. I switched towels frequently.

Results

HD Free is very to use and left a fairly slick shine. Free was easy to buff off and I didn`t have any problems with streaks. The cleaning power was susprisingly good, even on wheels and tires. My truck needs a light polishing, so some light swirls were already present but I didn`t notice any additional swirls after using HD Free.

HD Free VS S&W and ONR

I`ll say right up front that I think ONR is better than HD Free, but it isn`t entirely a fair comparison. I only make the comparison because ONR is my primary wash and it`s often mentioned in the same breath as ONR. Plus Free is the closest thing HD has a car wash. I feel Free may have better cleaning power than ONR, but ONR feels as though it has much more lubrication and seems like it would be safer. IMO I would feel much better/safer cleaning a dirty vehicle with ONR than HD Free. IMO Free and ONR both leave a very nice looking finish behind. I feel HD Free betters S&W in most ways. It has similar cleaning power and is easier to use than S&W. Oddly enough, HD Free cleans wheels and tires better than S&W. It`s also easier to achieve a streak free finish with HD Free.

Overall HD Free is a nice product and I can see it having a place in my detailing arsenal. I probably won`t use it to clean a dirty vehicle, but it would be nice to use after a wash for any water spots and some extra shine.

Flashtime
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Great honest review! Price wise, how does it compare? Would you still buy it

at $12 (plus S&H) without the free refill?

AeroCleanse
09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
A gallon of ONR is $36, which is defiantly cheaper at this point. I see my customers using HD Free after its been professionally detailed, to keep it looking great.

Flashtime
09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I`m curious what the savings would be with the Pro line... It`s hard to imagine

anyone paying $12+ for 24 oz. consistently. Or even $7+ for the concentrate.

Customers would have to be in a different tax bracket not to flinch.

Since ONR can also be used in the same manner, it`s a tough sell.

imported_admin
09-18-2009, 09:34 PM
The cost of HD FREE comes way down when you purchase 6 or more. In fact, when you buy 6+, the shipping is FREE ($30 per 6-pak, or $1.50 per use).

The Pro packaging will reduce cost a lot. The target cost will be less than $1 per use, with the assumption that a pro will dilute at 15-20:1 and use about 1 pint per vehicle.

db

Flashtime
09-18-2009, 09:40 PM
The cost of HD FREE comes way down when you purchase 6 or more. In fact, when you buy 6+, the shipping is FREE ($30 per 6-pak, or $1.50 per use).

This should be emphasized/encouraged on the website. And the fact that it`s

a Certified Green Product...

If Cosco is any indicator, folks love buying in bulk!

Frito Bandito
09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I don`t know if I will buy it again or not yet.......I will say it`s a nice product, but it`s no substitute for ONR. If I do buy more it will be the 6 pack of conentrate to keep cost down a little. I see it as something that could safely remove a day or two of dust and leave a great looking finish.

I should also mention I probably used half the bottle to clean my truck.

Candor
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Initial Impressions:

When I opened the box I was a little surprised to find an eco-friendly product nestled in a box full of styrofoam packing peanuts.

Probably was bio-degradable peanuts

Nice review, I haven`t entered the world of waterless wash yet but I placed an order for HD Free. I`m kind of curious is there a test for lubrication?

Flashtime
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Probably was bio-degradable peanuts

That`s a good idea! Nice touch.

imported_admin
09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
When I opened the box I was a little surprised to find an eco-friendly product nestled in a box full of styrofoam packing peanuts.

Valid comment, and appreciate that you noticed. Some things are not fast to change over in a shop the size of 3D, but they are committed to being as green as possible, including the packing materials and packaging.