PDA

View Full Version : ONR Method(Spray and Wipe)

JLui83
09-18-2009, 06:28 AM
So I got a bottle of Optimum No Rinse. I mix it with water into a spray bottle. Now I use this as my "car wash""quick detailer" Is it safe for me to only do this for a car wash? Let me try to explain it better.

1) I spray the portion of the car I`m working on (front door)

2) Wipe gently with Clean microfiber going from North to South

3) I dont go over the same spot twice with that microfiber towel, I use a new clean one to dry

So instead of using any buckets, I just use the spray bottle. I never keep my car sooooo dirty that the spray bottle isn`t enough. I clean the car every week, sometimes more with this method. So far so good.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this and what your opinions are.

Also, winter is coming close, I live in a Condo Complex and park outside and no access to a hose. So using ONR like this is good for me, but a little worried about the salt and crap when it snows or ices here so I would probably use the 1 bucket, grit guard method....

Thanks!

imported_agentf1
09-18-2009, 06:41 AM
I prefer using two buckets and a sheep skin mitt when using QEW to clean my car. JMHO

I feel the wet mitt does a better job of keeping grit away from the paint than a mf will.

spotter
09-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I think that method is "ok" for dust but IMO the ONR needs the water (I mean a couple of gallons in a bucket is not hard to do) to encapsulate the dirt and remove it without marring. I have had no problems/issues using ONR with winter salt and/or very dirty cars when using a couple of gallons of water. Note: I don`t presoak or spray because I just haven`t had any issues.

JLui83
09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
yeh I know the bucket way is the preferred way...

Just wanted to see if anyone did the spray/wipe way...

Like I said, so far so good. but I`m really careful with not wiping hard the first pass...

CocheseUGA
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I do that sometimes, but soak the `wash` MF in ONR to add additional water/solution.

I use a 2g sprayer, so I can pop the top before I start and get them nice and soaked. I`ve done a Durango with about 10 MFs (about 1 per panel).

GoCubsGo
09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
The ONR 2 bucket wash method is the best, with that being said....

I`m in the same boat as you (condo with no hose) and have used the ONR "spray wash" method about a dozen times since my 2009 spring correction (Carbon Black BMW). I use a higher dilution of ONR in my spray bottle (between QD and clay lube) and a lot of MFs. I also make sure to let the ONR spray wash dwell for about 30-90 seconds before removing (to allow the ONR to encapsulate).

I`ve sampled a few sealants/glazes this summer as well and here are my findings (all have been topped with 2 coats of Pete`s 53).

FMJ sealant: No marring with the ONR "spray wash" method.

Jetseal 109 sealant: No marring with the ONR "spray wash" method.

RMG glaze: Noticed some minor micro-marring with the ONR "spray wash" method.

NOTE: RMG looks great and since it was my most recent application directly on the paint (~4 weeks ago) it is possible that over the summer normal micro marring has occured via QD`ing, dusting, etc and is not a result of the ONR spray wash (the Carbon Black is my daily drive). The micro marring I have seen is nothing that won`t be cleaned up with my standard fall/winter 1 stage correction/prep.

Bottom Line: I`ll keep with the ONR "spray wash" method, but if there is major salt or other contaminents on the finish over the winter, I`ll break out the buckets (and do it at 2am in the condo garage when no one is around). Also, I like ChocheseUGA`s advice to "soak the `wash` MF in ONR to add additional water/solution". I`ll be using this going forward.

Not sure if this helped, but it`s my experience.

longdx
09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I also use a heavier dilution ratio for Spray&Wipe with either ONR or DP Rinseless. I have found no appreciable marring on my paint (harder GM clearcoat). Again, I follow the rules for a regular QD in terms of light dusting/soiling on the paint.

imported_Bence
09-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Add a little bit of OID to the ONR for better slickness and an additional cushion.

JLui83
09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Awesome... Just wanted to get a feel for what others do with this great product..

I just did the spray and wipe again today on my car... I also wait a few moments for the ONR to pick up the dirt and gunk then wipe and use a few microfiber towels to do the job safely.

:woot::woot:

yOyOYoo
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you are using ONR as a waterless system. There are so many on the market i`m not sure what to get. I just ordered some of that new HD Free waterless solution, and will give it a go to see how it compares to ONR.

Dan
09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
How does the paint look under under some lights? If it looks good, then there is no issue.

JLui83
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
How does the paint look under under some lights? If it looks good, then there is no issue.

I will check sometime this week. I can pull into my parents garage and closely inspect the paint for marring or swirls and such.

DM101
09-21-2009, 09:50 AM
My car never sees the rain. It stays in the garage. So I`m faced with dust and like dirt. What I do is use a 2 gallon garden sprayer filled with ONR and wet it down real good. Then I follow with a quality MF towels to dry it off and wring it out as I go along. If the MF gets very dirty I get a clean one. This works perfect for me. If the car is real dirty I just wash it as normal.

dervdave
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Add a little bit of OID to the ONR for better slickness and an additional cushion.

Yeah I`ve done that, its a good tip Bence :)

LICamaro85
09-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I do the spray and wipe with ONR every other day then follow it with a coat of Megs. Ultimate Quick Wax Spray. There is nothing on my car but a little dust and maybe some water spots and such. That is also because I also keep a few coats of Zaino followed by a few coats of Nattys Blue and use the ONR and UQW in between the real waxing.

SO what I am saying is all long as your car is not very dirty you will be fine as long as you are using the ONR at Quick Detail strength and NOT wash Strength. If you are not using it at QD strength then you may be in some trouble.

- LI NY