PDA

View Full Version : HD Free Review

ctrent86
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I posted this review in the Products section, but thought the information would be useful here as well.

I received my first bottle (first of many now :)) of HD Car Care Free Waterless Car Wash Lotion.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-23057745957616_2068_4563113

To give a little bit of background, I have been detailing about 6 years and as a side business for 3 years. I have tried a wide range of products as I am always up for trying items. I was turned on to ONR about a year ago. I had been reading on it for a while, but I had to get over my fear of the product. I have since been a strong champion of the product. So needless to say, HD Free had a high mark to hit if I was going to use it.

Impressions:

1) The product is very professional in looks, accompanying instructions are appreciated, and packed/shipped really well. (Pictures to come soon)

2) Odd to note but smells very good, almost cologneish

3) The sprayer and container that it comes in is good quality. Flow and pickup is good with the sprayer.

4) The product works, but even better works well. One thing I have always wish ONR had, is a little bit better cleaning ability with tar and tougher road grime. I feel sometimes I have to re go over areas with this a couple times, or rely on the microfiber to take the rest away with a little scrubbing. Just as a point here I always pre-soak these areas with ONR QD ratio before washing. However, with HD Free (with no pre-soak) had no problems with these areas. In fact, I really didnt have to do any scrubbing at all with any tough areaĆ`s. HD Free did a great job powering though grime, salt deposits (I work on the ocean), little bug spots, and light bird dropping with ease.

5) Also, HD Free left a really slick, clean, and smooth surface. That was another one of my concerns is this product can obviously clean, but what will the surface look like? Happily, I can report that it was on par with ONR in gloss and shine.

6) Since, I just cleaned it today I cannot report on water beading yet, but will update when I get the chance to observe.

7) HD Free is a great window cleaner as well. It takes a tad more work to get the product off the windows compared to a product like SIG, but that is probably because I like in FL and the humidy is ridiculous today. Again, if your windows need some cleaning, this product wiped away the grime with ease.

So the million dollar question, is it better than ONR?

Honestly, I need to see how it does beading a protection wise, but I would say absolutely YES. The main reasons being that it does a better job at cleaning, and leaves a surface that is just as good in appearance as ONR. I would encourage everyone to give it a try and chime in with thoughts.

Lastly, if you have any questions feel free to ask, and I will do my best to respond based on my experience with the product.

yOyOYoo
09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Which microfiber cloth did you use with HD Free?

I feel like this product would be easier to use than ONR, since with ONR you have to wash and then you have to dry. With HD Free, seems like you can just spray on and wipe and dry immediately.

ctrent86
09-20-2009, 05:36 AM
I used a cobra gold for the initial wipe because of the nap it has, and then followed up with viking green towels.

yOyOYoo
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Is this safe for my black car?

I was anxious about using ONR, but this leaves me even more anxious... That and there are so few reviews on this product since it is new.

ctrent86
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Why would color matter? Scratches occur the same of different color cars.

I strongly believe it is a safe product, you just need to know how to safely use it. Make sure you have a good supply of good microfiber. Fold and change out towels regularly and you will be good.

Also, make sure that you have enough moisture on the surface so it is not dry contaminants being drug across the surface.

If the car is really dirty then it is going to need to be rinsed before hand, or use something like ONR which will offer more moisture to the process.

Let me know if I need to clarify more.