PDA

View Full Version : What states demand water reclamation?

tssdetailing
09-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Is there a way to find out if the following states demand water reclamation: Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana?

Setec Astronomy
09-17-2009, 01:31 PM
All states do, it`s a Federal statute (Clean Water Act). However, enforcement is by local authorities, so this varies from state to state as well as locale to locale.

Bobby G
09-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Here in CA, it is enforced at the city level. Some cities are catching on that they can use it to generate revenue.

Wumpus
02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
In Oregon and Washington, the prohibition is against putting soap or chemicals into the sewer. Oregon even prohibits washing your car with hot water, though you there are exemptions for occasional cleanings.

I`ve never heard of either being enforced, but the rule is there.

imported_WCD
02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
City of Santa Barbara will fine the property owner up to 10,000 per occurrence. They say that detailers are too hard to fine/find, so they will put the bill on your property tax!

I am certified by the Clean Water Program. Last month, they put an ad in the paper and listed my company, along with a few others, and I had about 5 calls the next day.

One of the companies does not reclaim or use their ONR and have been caught. I am hoping they get kicked out of the program, but I just focus on what we do.

Some cities are citing detailers up to $2000 per fine- caught in the act.

A carpet cleaner was fined because a neighbor called police when he was dumping his waste water INTO a manhole in her neighborhood- police showed and he has gone to court.

The article is on my blog-

Traveling with The Auto Detailing Teacher - santa barbara mobile car wash and auto detailing (http://www.autodetailingteacher.com/auto-detailing-teacher-in-the/)

Not sure why so many mobile business start ups are still pushing the typical trailers- I just see the industry changing in the next 5-10 years and would be surprised to see any rigs with water tanks anymore- east coast and west coast are different. I do not see any salt or harsh conditions where I am located.

Rob Regan

Prelude_ghost
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Would it be ok in CA. (San Diego) to use the 2 bucket method? There would be still water dripping off the car. I live in a Condo complex that pressure washed out the dumpsters one time and let the water run down into the street but just because the HOA did it, I`m not sure that it is right.

Of course, the rules of the complex state that you cannot do any work on your car, so I`m sure that washing it would fall under that. But I can deal with them later, cops pulling up citing me is my concern.

imported_advs1
05-14-2010, 10:50 PM
hey Rob, are you using only ONR type wash media now? or do you still use a pressure washer? i am going to try ONR for the first time, maybe tomorrow

Envious Eric
05-15-2010, 09:32 AM
***, you havent used ONR yet?

imported_advs1
05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
***, you havent used ONR yet?

i`m scared!! i have a acura in about 2 hours and i may try it, but the P/W and DI tank are calling my name!! especially since this one i am doing at home. i even went and bought a new sponge to use with the ONR. i just worry about all the little cracks i wont be able to get like i do with the P/W.

devinh
09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I have also never used ONR. I guess I need to do more research on it, but it just doesn`t seem like it would do the same job. Can you not use wheel cleaners with it, since there is no hose or p/w to rinse them off? I would hate for myself or a homeowner to get fined over something I`m doing.