PDA

View Full Version : Got a question

jpzapata
11-28-2005, 07:43 PM
I was aproched by a customer last night that I done a paint chip repair on his hood. He asked me if there was a possibility that I would do the same thing on a car that he just purchased that was recently painted but the finish was not good. He wants me to wetsand the entire car. I told him that I would have to see the conditions of the vehicle first to give him a cuote. But my question is is this even worth the effort and what do you guys think would take me to do a whole car. I told him that it would start at about 25.00 an hour. I have done wet sanding on small sections so you can understand how overwhelming the proyect looks like.
Let me know what you guys think and if there is a better procedure for this. I am going to be checking out the car on wendsday so I will have pics for you guys and by the way it is a grand national.

maximv1
11-28-2005, 07:54 PM
check out your local body shop supply store. 3m now makes a set of discs for a orbital palm sander that is like 1500 and 3000 grit wet sanding look into those and they will make you job alot easier. don`t be afraid to charge accordingly. that is a big job, probably at least 6- 8 hours for sanding and buffing. at $25.00 that works out to around $200.00. i would charge at least $600.00-800.00 for a full car sand and buff. if not more.

Beemerboy
11-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Wet sanding the whole car would be worth it but that depends on the condition of the paint job.....Look at it and see what you think...also if you are not comfortable with doing the whole car and I can understand that. Tell the customer that its over your head.

I have a BMW hood that is a repaint coming up that I will have to wetsand that and I`m not crazy about doing it

Brenton
11-28-2005, 08:15 PM
check out your local body shop supply store. 3m now makes a set of discs for a orbital palm sander that is like 1500 and 3000 grit wet sanding look into those and they will make you job alot easier. don`t be afraid to charge accordingly. that is a big job, probably at least 6- 8 hours for sanding and buffing. at $25.00 that works out to around $200.00. i would charge at least $600.00-800.00 for a full car sand and buff. if not more.

Wow, but the timre is probably even a little low. I would suggest 10-13 hours. I would charge $300-$350.

jaybs02
11-28-2005, 08:23 PM
You may want to check to see if the GN is SS or CC.
Maybe this link will help Turbo regal buyers guide (http://www.gnttype.org/general/buyguide.html)

Can`t wait to see the pics
Good luck
"J"

jpzapata
11-29-2005, 07:42 AM
You may want to check to see if the GN is SS or CC.
Maybe this link will help Turbo regal buyers guide (http://www.gnttype.org/general/buyguide.html)

Can`t wait to see the pics
Good luck
"J"

It has to be SS (I would think) since he explains to me that the car was a rebuild. But the original owner ran out of money half way through the proyect.

By the way cool link :punk:

Beemerboy
11-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I`m getting a bit confused reading this thread....you said that the car was recently painted that SHOULD be CC....If not then SS stage panit can be leveled with a rotary and compounds, in most all areas.

I guess what needs to be addressed is what is the finish

jpzapata
11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
I`m getting a bit confused reading this thread....you said that the car was recently painted that SHOULD be CC....If not then SS stage panit can be leveled with a rotary and compounds, in most all areas.

I guess what needs to be addressed is what is the finish

Very true but unfortunately the new owner is not sure on the finnish. So I just told him not to worry and to wait untill I can pass by and take a look at it.

Beemerboy
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Take some polish along and rub an area...if the colors comes off on the rag....its single stage....I`ve brough some real crappy finishes back form the dead with SS.....Again this depends on the quality of the paint job