PDA

View Full Version : First time I had an issue using painter`s tape

Jean-Claude
09-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I was doing some paint correction today on a z3. There was an issue with the clear on the trunk lid. It looked like it had some oxidation. But it wasn`t rough so I was not 100% on the exact issue.

I tested the clear and it read between 100 and 110 microns thick. So I knew it was really thin. I put a strip of tape on the troubled area and only did a single step due to the how thin it was. I saw that absolutely no progress was being made and wrapped up. As I was pulling the tape back the clear directly below tape started to remove from the paint! It never tore free of the car, but it did create a huge bubble.

At first my client was a bit upset. But after a few minutes and seeing the rest of the car and how great it looked he said he completely understood that it was out of my control. I never told him I could definitely fix the issue, just do my best. He called me because another client referred me. He was very happy with the car(PHEW!!!) but it was very odd.

Any of you run into a similar situation?

imported_wagonproject
09-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Poorly done paint job...

See it all the time at my shop, cars come in that I can just peel the clear right off or blow it off.

gmblack3
09-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a repaint, but it sounds thin unless it was a new panel and then painted thin.

Jean-Claude
09-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Had 40k miles and he was the only owner. He said it has never had a repaint.

blkacgsr
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
It could have been repainted by the dealer with out the owner ever knowing. My mother in-law bought a van brand new and when she got it home, I could see that it gotten painted and it only had 10 miles on it.

Thomas Dekany
09-16-2009, 02:54 AM
I was doing some paint correction today on a z3. There was an issue with the clear on the trunk lid. It looked like it had some oxidation. But it wasn`t rough so I was not 100% on the exact issue.

I tested the clear and it read between 100 and 110 microns thick. So I knew it was really thin. I put a strip of tape on the troubled area and only did a single step due to the how thin it was. I saw that absolutely no progress was being made and wrapped up. As I was pulling the tape back the clear directly below tape started to remove from the paint! It never tore free of the car, but it did create a huge bubble.

At first my client was a bit upset. But after a few minutes and seeing the rest of the car and how great it looked he said he completely understood that it was out of my control. I never told him I could definitely fix the issue, just do my best. He called me because another client referred me. He was very happy with the car(PHEW!!!) but it was very odd.

Any of you run into a similar situation?

I don`t think that`s thin.

automedix
09-16-2009, 04:54 AM
I have had similar situations where I was doing a headlight restoration. I put 2" tape around the outside of the headlight. when I went to peel it off - off came the clear on a freshly painted bumper cover.

The dealer that I was doing this for was upset, but not at me. The body shop they got it done at, had to redo it.

Jean-Claude
09-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I don`t think that`s thin.

I tested a spot where clear had been polished through on a bmw once that read 95 microns.

Make of that what you want, but I know where my threshold lay for saying "I won`t polish that".