PDA

View Full Version : Paint Thickness Gauge Needed?

Pages : [1] 2

dawgboy
09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Ive been looking at different posts on the Before & AFter, and Click & Brag. I`ve seen the different supplies that people use, but I only remember coming across 2 posts that stated they used a Paint Thickness Gauge. In DavidB posts it is suggested to use a paint thickness gauge. Is this actually necessary and do yall use it?

Dan
09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
It depends. I just got one, and its comforting to know that I can measure and know when to stop. I think being a little too autopian means I want perfection and sometimes I might go a bit overboard. The paint guage lets me set a firm stopping point.

Aesop F1
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I use it every time I do paint paint correction. I would recommend it, mostly if you are ever going to detail someone else`s car.

Accumulator
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Mine has saved me from a real "oops!" on a pal`s showcar..it woulda been a serious disaster; one area on his trunk lid had super-thin clear for some reason.

But OTOH, I got by for decades without one.

*GENERALLY* I don`t think you need one unless you`re a) buying a used car and need to check it (this has saved me from buying a car that woulda needed a repaint), b) doing *very* serious correction, especially on a car with unknown history, or c) working on other people`s vehicles, where it`s simply smart to CYA.

gmblack3
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I would not do serious paint correction without them.

I have the Defelsko PosiTest DFT for metal and the PosiTector 200 advanced for composite and fiberglass.

imported_Jakerooni
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I think they are like all the the other tools in detailing. They definatly have their place. You don`t absoultly *need* one per say to detail a car. I`ve personally have never used one but I do want to get one. I think just like everything else in detailing the more prepared you are the better off you`re going to be. I wouldn`t put it in the class of *must have* tools by any means but I would put it right up there with *if you can find a deal grab it up quick like!!!* Kind of like D/A`s and carpet extractors.

CosminTX
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
save me twice so far, i would say it paid in full already and i am not full detailer yet.

well ... it let u know things that u can`t tell and can`t see :

repaint panels , thin panels so u don`t try to hard to get the scratch out , thin spots on panels , gives u a map of the car`s paint u deal with , if u remove scratches or do paint correction i think is a must.

Barry Theal
09-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I think there a good thing for beginners, but once you have the knowledge and understanding of what truly correcting a car is about there worthless. Now keep in mind thats just my opinion.

Dan
09-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I think there a good thing for beginners, but once you have the knowledge and understanding of what truly correcting a car is about there worthless. Now keep in mind thats just my opinion.

So you can tell how much clear is left by just looking at paint?

GS4_Fiend
09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
If you are serious about polishing, you should get one. It`s an essential item. And also could save your "buns buns".

SoCalB6
09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I would not do serious paint correction without them.

I have the Defelsko PosiTest DFT for metal and the PosiTector 200 advanced for composite and fiberglass.

Dayyyummm.... That`s like $3K+ in just PTG`s!:buffing: I know they have paid for themselves though.

Accumulator
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Heh heh, I can only tell on metallics, and only when I`ve gone a bit too far :o

Yeah, that`s right...this *is* one topic that bufferbarry and I don`t exactly see eye-to-eye on :argue :hifive:

04yfz
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Unless you have a PTG that will tell you how thick an individual coating is(Defelsko Positector 200 advanced), you can`t tell how much clear is left even with a PTG.

Accumulator
09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Unless you have a PTG that will tell you how thick an individual coating is(Defelsko Positector 200 advanced), you can`t tell how much clear is left even with a PTG.

But you can extrapolate to some degree. If a clearcoated panel reads 80-90 microns you`d better think twice about aggressively correcting it.

Crude/extreme IRL example: Last summer I was looking at a *VERY* nice black car I planned to buy. Zero serious cosmetic issues, which I found suspicious. A few ETG readings showed that the paint was *VERY* thin...as in, too thin to correct again, maybe even soon-to-fail. Seller`s response: "well, yeah, I did some wetsanding on it due to acid rain pitting". Without the ETG I almost certainly would`ve bought it, so the readings saved me from a big "oops". Could`ve just as easily been a car I was about to compound, like the readings that showed my pal`s Jag wasn`t safe to correct in a few places.

Dan
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
But you can extrapolate to some degree. If a clearcoated panel reads 80-90 microns you`d better think twice about aggressively correcting it.

Exactly. I`m a hobbyist, but I can tell you if I was a pro, there would be no way I would touch a car without taking readings first. Who knows how many times a car has been polished. Sure you don`t know how much clear is left, but you pretty easily tell which areas are thin, which areas are factory and which areas have been repainted.