PDA

View Full Version : A product you almost trashed?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
What is something you ended up giving a second chance and grew to love?

For me, it was OCW. I tried it initially on two lighter colored cars and was ready to get rid of it. Compared to AW it was a total dud. Then I got a darker colored car and this stuff is amazing where AW looks flat.

gofastman
09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
What is something you ended up giving a second chance and grew to love?

For me, it was OCW. I tried it initially on two lighter colored cars and was ready to get rid of it. Compared to AW it was a total dud. Then I got a darker colored car and this stuff is amazing where AW looks flat.

My Hitachi Rotary polisher.

Accumulator
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
My foamguns.

For the first dozen washes or so I kept thinking the foamgun was just a gimmicky, if kinda fun, toy. Then I gave it some real thought....

spartacus_33
09-14-2009, 02:12 PM
For me the answer to that is Rejex. Some said they saw short life of this sealant, but I find it has great shine, good wear, and it won`t wipe out your arm if you put it on a little too thick.

Chicagoareanew
09-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Menzerna polishes. I thought there was way too much dust and it was impossible to remove, but I didn`t prime my pads with the correct polish. With the same primer I get good results from Menzerna, I get horrible splatter and hard removal with 105, so I`m clinging to Menzerna from now on.

craigdt
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Megs 205 .

nosbusa1700
09-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Zaino Pro Z2, Z5, and Z8.

I still don`t love it, but I know when to use, and when not to use it.

Envious Eric
09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Zaino Pro Z2, Z5, and Z8.

I still don`t love it, but I know when to use, and when not to use it.

thats 205 for me...

SoCalB6
09-14-2009, 10:56 PM
ONR :wow: Now I can`t seem to be without it!

XRL
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Black Magic Wheel Cleaner. Turns out it was not nearly as aggressive as I wax expecting, and that combined with not using a good wheel brush made it useless ans splotchy/runny. Combined with a nice brush it works great.

shadow85
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Scratchx and Optimum Power Clean.

bwalker25
09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Menzerna polishes. I thought there was way too much dust and it was impossible to remove, but I didn`t prime my pads with the correct polish. With the same primer I get good results from Menzerna, I get horrible splatter and hard removal with 105, so I`m clinging to Menzerna from now on.

I get the same thing with M95, dont use it nearly as often as I use my SIP and 106FA / 85rd

Love Menzerna

dazco
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I have TWO of these "almost threw them away" stories, both of which just happened recently. "Liquid Performance" detailer/cleaner. i bought it for my bike because the Maxima SC1 silicone detailer i used for the black satin finish engine parts was out of stock. So the guy recommended this LP stuff. Tried it and it was ok, but i preferred the other stuff. So i shelved it and found another place that had the silicone stuff and didn`t touch the LP for a year and a 1/2 at least. Then one day i tried it on the rest of my bike for some reson and wow ! I had tried several chrome polishes and this stuff actually made the chrome glow like i have never seen, and it`s way easier because no white residue and it goes on and off like detailer. it worked great all the whole bike, but it was the chrome where it shinded no pun intended.

so i told my neighbor about it and lent him the can. Unlike me, he`s like you guys here...deep into the whle detailing thing and has a huge shelf full of high end products like you all use that he gets online. He has high end cars like the big beemer, and they all have high end aftermarket chrome wheels. When i asked him the next day if he tried it the first thing he said was "i ordered 3 cans". Now i gotta tell you, this stuff made the chrome on my bike look different and better than anything i have ever tried, but as good as it was i was totally and completely blown away when he showed me what they did for his wheels. i have never in my life seen chrome look like that !

Anyways, i have since tossed almost all my products as far as cleaners, detailers and waxes for my bike.

Second one...PEAK microfiber. I know what you`re saying, but 1)-this is different, and 2)-i`m talking about polishing metals or any finish that has fine scratches/swirl marks that nothing will completely remove. This is one of several they make and it`s not regular MF. It`s far softer and it`s poly as to be far less abrasive. What i found when trying to polish metal like billet to a chrome like mirror is that nothing i ever used would remove the fine scratches/swirlmarks. This towel does. And i mean totally. As you know, and surface thats dar paint or polished metal like billet can look mirror like and perfect till you see it in jsut the right light. Then you see the truth. This towel with ANY good polish totally removes that ! I went as far as to try it on a number of things with a few polishes. Didn`t seem to matter what polish i used, the results were unbelievable to me beacuse i`ve been trying to accomplish this for most of my 56 years and never came close. i tried it on guitars with poly finishes that would never rub out to a completely haze/scratch free surface, especially after wet sanding. this did. In fact, i did one area that was totally hazy on the back of a guitar from years of rubbing against me as i play. When doone it looked like i have poured a pool of honey over it. It was 100% as new aside from a few deep scratches which of coutse final polishing doesn`t remove. but i was just testing it so i did care about that and would have sanded it if i wasn`t just testing this towel. I then attempted the impossible....a light colored plastic strat pickguard, I have never been able to remove the years of fingernail scratches on a strat guard, not even close. This towel did it ! I used a few polishes as i said, but mainly mothers billet. But when i bought them i just bought them as regular MF to detail my bike and care with. But they worked horribly for that because they have no absorbancy and don`t remove wax worth a **** because they are so slick. then i realize i had bought a PEAK"polishing" towel, and thats when i tried it on the billet parts on my bike and was floored.

in any case, instead of questioning what i said here, just do yourself a favor and try these towels. try polishing a black car or polished aluminum and watch what happens. you`ll be amazed. They have them at pep boys. They are made by PEAK and the package says "microfiber SPA polishing towels" and they come in a 2 pack for $5. they are blue. The website shows something different so i wouldn`t look for that because i`m not sure if they are the same. they don`t say SPA on the package and they are yellow. Maybe the ones i have are discontinued or too new to be on thier website yet. all i know is they are a god send and i ran out and bought more to be safe in case they are discontinued. I will be everything that if you try this towel with any decent final polish you will be able to completely remove all surface flaws for a black xcar so that in ANY light all you will see is pure gloss and no scratches. Of course that would be a full days work, but i know it will do that from all the experiments i did with these. i would have to call these my lifetime BEST FIND ever ! and i didn`t even know what i had at first....i nearly tossed them !

pootoo12000
09-17-2009, 10:33 AM
DAZCO- Based on your glowing review, Istopped at Pep Boys the other day after work and picked up two packages of the Peak polishing towel. You`re right, they are different, and seem to kind of repel water. It`s two-sided, one side is a thick nap, the other side is like fleece. Anyway, I looked around for something to polish. The headlights on our van were a little oxidized and yellowed, so I reckoned that would be a good test. Dampened the towel and used a little UC. Well, sure enough, after what amounted to very little rubbing I wiped off the residue and, WOW! All gone! Did the lights on the Tundra as well...same result! Tried it on the white van paint with Swirl-X, a very mild polish...left swirl/haze marks. On paint, with the towel,even a mild polish like swirlX seems almost too strong. Went back over it with Poorboy`s Pro Polish and, again, WOW! The towel really seems to put some muscle behind the polish. Question: which side do you use, the nap or the fleece? Cleanup was pretty easy, by the way. Gotta get me some more of these! By the way, my usual method of headlight clearing is yellow 4" pad on the PC. The towel was much faster! Thanks for the tip!

dazco
09-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Cool ! If you ever have some unfinished polished aluminum, try some fine polish like mothers billet or similar with the towels and it will amaze you. If it`s truly polished to a mirror finish, they will make it look like chrome and remove the fine scratching thats so impossible to get out with anything else. I went and bought more just out of fear they will go away ! by the way, i`m not sure which is fleece and which is nap, but i used the side with the smaller finer weave.