PDA

View Full Version : Tire gloss question

Chicagoareanew
09-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I`m wondering when you apply a tire protectant/gloss type of thing, do you put it on the entire tire, or just the side that faces out? I tried just the side that faces out because that`s less of a PITA, but you can see how bad the rest of it looks. So does anybody here apply the product to the tread surface in addition to the side, or do you leave it alone? Because to evenly apply it to the whole tire, you would have to move the car...isn`t that a bit much?

BigAl3
09-13-2009, 11:08 PM
you only apply tire dressing to the side of the tire. think about it.. if you applied it to the tread, and after you drive a few hundred feet it would be gone...

The Enforcer
09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
lol i tihnk this must be a joke.

but if its not....no you dont put it on your tread. what would be the prupose? like bigal said, itll be gone in a few feet...and itll make you tread slick as anything. give ya a lil story on that...

once upon a time i was at a car show. at this particluar car show, people liked to "show out" when they left, including me. as a joke, some people put tire shine on my tread. needless to say, i almost did a 360 in the highway, and the "joke" couldve turned out pretty serious.

so no, dont put it on the tread!!!! only the sidewalls

alpha
09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Just the side facing out. It could be very dangerous applying tire shine on tread.

Setec Astronomy
09-14-2009, 05:41 AM
We have a little local car show around here every spring. This year there was a Corvette with the clamshell hood, which was open, where you can see the top of the front tires. So this guy had dressed the exposed tops of the tires with greasy kid stuff...I couldn`t believe it...

GlossyTundra
09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I could see dressing the tread at a car show with something like 303 or maybe just wiping them down with APC, but no greasy stuff.

Of course, if you feel you need to dress the tread, by all means, go for it. Just let us know the cops reaction when he asks you why did you rear-end the car in front of you and you tell him it`s b/c you put tire shine on your treads.

The Enforcer
09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I could see dressing the tread at a car show with something like 303 or maybe just wiping them down with APC, but no greasy stuff.

Of course, if you feel you need to dress the tread, by all means, go for it. Just let us know the cops reaction when he asks you why did you rear-end the car in front of you and you tell him it`s b/c you put tire shine on your treads.

lol most cars with ABS arent gonna have trouble with that!

Setec Astronomy
09-14-2009, 07:46 AM
lol most cars with ABS arent gonna have trouble with that!

How is ABS going to help? Does ABS help you stop on ice? If you don`t have any friction, you`re not going to stop.

Alfisti
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
ABS prevents the tyre from locking up, so it releases it if it loses traction. But, if you have no traction to begin with (because of slippery surface) it will stay released. Fully released = no brakes with ABS.

Concourswanna b
09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Treads? Probably only for classics at Concours shows. Like a Benz SSK that never gets driven might have a few coats of #40 or something on the treads.

CocheseUGA
09-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Required reading:

Crashed my Baby - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum (http://my.is/forums/f87/crashed-my-baby-147582/)

Interwebnets of legend.