PDA

View Full Version : When do you know it`s good enough?

flash_e
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I am new to the whole detailing. I have a Flex xc and Menzerna polishes. I recently removed the swirl marks from my truck, which I was pleased with, and my father`s truck without clear coat. On my truck without clear I tried small areas with different pad/polish combination. I found that my orange/Menz Power Finish had the same results as the yellow/PF. My question is how do you know when you have the perfect combination. How do you tell that you have went too far? I know if you see scratching it is too aggressive but is that what needs to be done to remove oxidation? I always wonder can it be a little better? I know each situation is different but I have not been able to find this answer while searching. If anyone can provide a link or their comments it would be appreciated.

imported_detail1
09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Trust me- start with the least aggressive pad and polish combo. Invest in a halogen light for inspection.

After each polishing step, use a soft, delicate MF towel with IPA to remove any oils. Then check for imperfections with the light.

U will need alot of time & patience.

JohnKleven
09-11-2009, 09:03 PM
You know it`s good enough, when you stop asking yourself that question.

John

flash_e
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Trust me- start with the least aggressive pad and polish combo. Invest in a halogen light for inspection.

After each polishing step, use a soft, delicate MF towel with IPA to remove any oils. Then check for imperfections with the light.

U will need alot of time & patience.

This is exactly what I did. With my experience I have a hard time really telling much difference when I get to the level that I feel that it looks good. I guess most of it is just personal preference. I just wonder if I did a little more would it look any better. Guess I just have to keep trying. I just do not want to take it too far and mess anything up. I guess I am pretty safe using the DA.

Accumulator
09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
You know it`s good enough, when you stop asking yourself that question...

Or when you gain the proper perspective ;)

If it looks OK then it`s OK. I often think that people get weird ideas from spending too much time here.

I am new to the whole detailing.. I found that my orange/Menz Power Finish had the same results as the yellow/PF. My question is how do you know when you have the perfect combination...

The mildest combo that gives the desired results would be the "best" one.

How do you tell that you have went too far?

You often don`t until you`ve taken off too much paint. An ETG can help but at some point the bottom line is that you can only abrade away a certain amount of paint before you have problems.

I know if you see scratching it is too aggressive but is that what needs to be done to remove oxidation?

Sometimes a very aggressive product, that leaves marring of its own, is necessary. But not all that often. Some chemical cleaners can be very effective on oxidation too.

I always wonder can it be a little better? I know each situation is different but I have not been able to find this answer while searching...

Consider whether you have a specific disappointment. What about the end-result is less than pleasing? I sure hope you`re not thinking of comparing your work with stuff you see on the internet (including our C & B section). If it looks good to you then say "OK, I`m done" and get on with life. If it does *not* look good to you, determine why and work on correcting that.

adrock2003
09-12-2009, 04:43 PM
O.C.D...that`s all I have to say. When I see swirls of ANY sort, or RIDs...O.C.D. kicks in and if I can`t fix it with my Griot`s DA, a yellow LC 4" pad, a bit of Optimum compound and some elbow grease...I get a bit peaved. The end result is always somewhat satisfying though, no matter how unsatisfied I am with the overall outcome in comparison to what I had in my mind.

mikenap
09-12-2009, 04:47 PM
When I say it is! :LOLOL

Barry Theal
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
You know it`s good enough, when you stop asking yourself that question.

John

thats the best answer here! even at that point are your sure? lol

JimmyCutlass
09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
It`s never good enough.

Scottwax
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM

If it looks OK then it`s OK. I often think that people get weird ideas from spending too much time here.

:werd: You ought to put that in your sig. ;)

There is always going to be something you can`t correct 100%. And to be quite honest, even if you could get a car absolutely perfect, you`d go nuts trying to maintain it at that level. If your car looks really good from 2-3 feet in the sun, you are in the 0.5% of people who have superb looking finishes.

imported_paintxpert
09-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Its only good enough when its OPTICALLY PERFECT IN THE SUN! No marks at all! Only certain paints can this be accomplished with. Mercedes some BMWs. Most Jaguars have great paint. I am doing a Bentley on Monday BLACK, that will be optically PERFECT! That is a 285,000 dollar car though! Its done when its the BEST you can make it! BenLeoneDetailer PS. if its old paint left outside .... you can only get it so perfect. Paint ages like humans as we get older our skin wrinkles! Be Well!

imported_Devilsown
09-12-2009, 08:34 PM

:har: So thats whats wrong with me...

Nailed on it the head...

Accumulator
09-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Its only good enough when its OPTICALLY PERFECT IN THE SUN! No marks at all!...

When I first started reading that I thought you were being sarcastic. People here actually adapt that mindset and the next thing they know they`re thinking that....

It`s never good enough.