PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Meg`s OTC Products

Pages : [1] 2

spud
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
I am in the process of purchasing the Ultimate Detailing Machine and would like some recommendations on what steps i need to do.

I would like to start using Megs over the counter products until I get used to using machine and what not.

I will start with Swirl X for light hazing and minor scratches, if that does not work I will move up to Ultimate Compound.

After that step what should I apply next ( polish, wax, etc?)

I would like to stay with products I can buy at the local walmart for now.

Thanks in advance

XRL
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Gold Class Wash is always a good standard for other washes to be measured up to.

The Meg`s clay kit is pretty OK, though many would say its not as good as the Clay Magic or Mothers kits.

Personally, I like to apply a layer of a sealant(ie NXT2) and then top that with a carnauba(like M26). NXT2 will be in walmart, M26 you`ll likely have to hit up an auto parts store. Meg`s Deep Crystal carnauba is also a pure wax and you might be able to find that easier than M26(but M26, especially paste, is way better).

I like Meg`s natural shine for the interior, and many people like their Gold Class endurance tire gel(it`s not water based, and I haven`t tried it nor do I plan to). I`ve used their wheel cleaner and I find it to be a little bit too strong, I`d rather use a wheel cleaner less aggressive and use a brush to get them clean.

SwirlX and Ultimate Compound are excellent products.

Auto parts stores tend to have a much better supply of Megs products than walmart, but Walmart is typically a lot cheaper.

JimmyCutlass
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I would recommend nearly any Meguiar`s product. SwirlX, UC, NXT 2.0, Gold Class shampoo, GC trim detailer, M07 polish, M26 carnauba, NXT glass cleaner and NXT Insane Shine tire shine. Get a Meguiar`s clay kit, it has less clay than a Mother`s clay kit but comes with a Supreme Shine microfiber (my favorite MF) and a trial size Cleaner Wax. Grab some Meguiar`s foam applicators.

Innovative Detailing
09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Meguiar`s A-Z.............its all good stuff!

gofastman
09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Gold Class wash and NXT 2.0 paste are pretty hard to beat for OTC stuff

archebald23
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Gold Class wash and NXT 2.0 paste are pretty hard to beat for OTC (http://www.thepartsbin.com/brands/otc.html) stuff

ive used their product for quite some time now and im more than happy with it. their products are quite pricey but its all well worth the bucks

nickery16
04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
there products are great i love them just got a ton of there stuff from a shop that closed for 75 bucks all brand new its great stuff if you want samples of anything spacific pm me an ill send some stuff your way. its all great stuff clay bar is alright but i woudl go with something different bars are small mothers clay lube smells horriable spicey cant stand it

Scottwax
04-21-2010, 10:21 PM
#26 is a terrific wax.

gdumond
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I just started using Megs Cleaner Wax. Still not sure about the durability but it is EXTREMELY easy to apply as well as removal with very little to no dust or wax around the emblems residue. And if your like most junkies, it smells great to!

Double Dizzle
04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
mothers clay lube smells horriable spicey cant stand it

Whaaaat?! I LOVE the smell of Mothers QD.

snoboarder8232
04-22-2010, 01:13 AM
I see that Meg`s #26 wax comes in both liquid and paste. Is one better than the other? I assume the liquid is easier to apply than the paste, especially with a DA. Opinions?

alwaysbored786
04-22-2010, 07:23 AM
i`ve purchased megs swirl x, but i`ve never actually used it. What step would i use this product on? Is it comparable to say Menzerna IP, or ssr 2 etc?

Scottwax
04-22-2010, 07:37 AM
I see that Meg`s #26 wax comes in both liquid and paste. Is one better than the other? I assume the liquid is easier to apply than the paste, especially with a DA. Opinions?

Either version is good, personally, I can apply wax a lot faster by hand than DA so it doesn`t matter if I use a liquid or a paste.

jfelbab
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Meg`s Recommended OTC products:

Meg`s NXT car wash and Gold Class car wash are very good.

Their Smooth Surface Clay Kit is good and comes with a very nice microfiber towel.

Meg`s OTC polishes, in order of aggressiveness from least to most, are SwirlX, ScratchX and Ultimate Compound. They can be used via hand or PC. UC is actually quite aggressive and may require SwirlX as a final polish on some paint.

NXT 2.0 wax (actually a sealant) and Gold Class wax are very decent. Easy on and easy off, but keep it off of textured plastic trim.

Ultimate Quik Detailer is very nice for dust and fingerprint as well as bug and bird dropping removal.

Ultimate Quik Wax is a great maintenance product. It is a Wipe-On/Wipe-Off (wowo) product like a QD and it doesn`t stain plastic. In fact, I use it on all my exterior trim for protection that lasts weeks. Works like RainX on glass too.

Quik Interior Detailer is a wonderful product for cleaning up leather and vinyl and it has UV protection. I like this product as it leaves the dash looking like new with NO shiny gloss to cause glare. It does not leave an oily or slippery film behind either. I also clean my Nav screen with it and it seems to slow it form getting fingerprints better than no treatment.

Many also prefer Meg`s Natural Shine and Supreme shine vinyl protectants which add more gloss, especially the latter. I`ve not tried their latest Ultimate Protectant product.

I clean my tires with a tire brush and car wash soap so I can`t comment on their tire and wheel cleaners. I detail and wax my wheels and don`t want to use harsh tire/wheel cleaners that might strip that wax. I do use their Quik Wheel Detailer though and like the way it leaves the wheels slick and slippery feeling. This seems to reduce the buildup of brake dust quite well.

I use their Hot Shine Trigger Spray tire dressing. I spray it on a foam tire applicator and dress the tire, let it dwell a few minutes then wipe down with an old terry towel to get just the right sheen and leave nothing to sling onto the paint.

Their NXT Generation Glass Cleaner is a good product as well. I`d rate it a notch better than Stoners IG, IMHO.

That pretty much covers their consumer OTC line.

Once you get going you may want to look at their #105/#205 polishes and maybe more of their professional products or other boutique products.

Have fun but remember this detailing thing is a sickness and once you are infected there is no known cure. LOL

Tuck91
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Either version is good, personally, I can apply wax a lot faster by hand than DA so it doesn`t matter if I use a liquid or a paste.

I find applying a wax or paint sealant with the D.A to be very cumbersome, I also feel like I use more product.

Is that why you prefer just doing it by hand?