PDA

View Full Version : newb help with products and methodology

Pages : [1] 2

riceguy
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Been reading on this site for a week now, I always find something new, today I decided to finally make some orders on products.

Just got a new 09 White Accord and I would like some input if I am understanding everything clearly. I decided to start gathering items for Exterior first. Interior will come after I sort this out.

I have never cleaned a car properly, my parents always use dish soap to clean everything and I don`t want to head that route.

--

1.Car wash

Optimum No Rinse and Shine

2. Clay Bar

for Lub, whats good to use? ONR can be used as a lub, or should I use my QD?(some have said its wasteful)

3. Polish

Meguiars 105, finsh with 205 (I am going to do this by hand, hope I don`t regret this or hurt myself)

4. Sealant

Ultima Paint Guard Plus (was recommended by many members, 3 layers, looks great and easy to use for white cars) I was wondering if I will having issues with the sealant bonding properly?

5. Quick Detailers

Currently I am thinking about trying FK425 or Meguiar#34 final inspection.

I am still unsure of all the QD`s multiple uses, its mentioned as a clay lub, taking out water spots, streaks, giving a car a newly waxed look, and taking off random finger prints, dust, and smudges.

I`ve read this reinforces wax/sealants, but I`ve also read strong QD`s remove wax?

--

Recommendations and advice welcomed, thanks autopia for all the awesome info so far.

What else am I missing? I`m on a tight budget with the new car (new college grad) and I would like to get good results the first time, I want to be as thorough as possible.

(I believe I`m missing glass cleaner, tire dressing and maybe trim cleaner?)

Double Dizzle
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
What you are missing is a machine polisher.

Bunky
09-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Are you sure you need M105?

You may want to do a test spot in a less conspicuous place with M205 first since you are new at it and doing it by hand. If not move to M105, then M205 to finish, and then recheck.

Accumulator
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
riceguy- I suppose the ONR will work OK as clay lube since they market it for that (I`m a Glyde user myself).

I do wonder if the oils that M205 leaves behind might inerfere with the UPGP`s bonding.

FWIW, no way I`d try to get a car nice enough for a sealant by hand, not even on white.

For the QDs, #34 and FK425 both have their place but they`re *VERY* different products. Use the #34 to help buff off M105 residue and use the FK425 for "regular QD applications".

The FK425 won`t take off wax/etc. and the #34 only does it in cases where the wax in question is almost completely dead anyhow...so don`t worry about that.

FWIW, and I`ll apologize now for opening a big ol` can of worms...in *your specific situation* I`d approach this differently. Working by hand is simply a different animal than doing it with a polisher. I don`t know enough about the clear on your car (how soft *is* that stuff :nixweiss ) to make a specific recommendation, but I`d try to simplify this and to use less expensive products if possible. M105/M205 do work fine by hand, but I`m not sure they`re what you oughta buy.

I *think* I`d lean towards an AIO-type product with a bit of abrasive in it, topped with something like Collinite wax. Thoughts include 1Z Paint Polish, Prime Strong, ZAIO. Any of those oughta be user-friendly and effective enough for you to get off on the right foot.

For tires, all I use is Z16. If ordering from Zaino, their AIO is good, but IIRC it`s kinda pricey too.

riceguy
09-07-2009, 12:39 PM
thanks for all the feedback, ill try to cancel my order and rethink the products in terms of whats best for me and my car.

riceguy
09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Machine polishers are too expensive and I don`t believe I should invest in one just yet.

It wasn`t too late to cancel my order so everything is all good.

So since its a new car, I shouldn`t worry too much about polish, there`s no need for any paint restoring, swirls, or scratches.

Should I bother with claybar? I don`t feel bumps when i put my hand on it.

I will look into those products you recommended, thanks Accumulator. I am also going to look into products that can give good results when done by hand.

Accumulator
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Machine polishers are too expensive and I don`t believe I should invest in one just yet...

OK, I`ll bear that in mind with regard to any advice.

It wasn`t too late to cancel my order so everything is all good.

OK, you can clean-slate this then. Spend some money on good wash/dry materials.

So since its a new car, I shouldn`t worry too much about polish, there`s no need for any paint restoring, swirls, or scratches.

Then you can get by with just a product that`s primarily a paint cleaner. I`d go with Zaino All-In-One. I think it`s about the best thing going for what you`re after. It`s quite user-friendly. But the Prime Strong has many fans too, and I like Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Add in the Klasse All-In-One and you have a range of similar products to consider; any of them should work fine.

For over top of the Zaino, you can pretty much pick anything you want, from a wax to a sealant. A simple and affordable option is Collinite wax, which is very durable.

Should I bother with claybar? I don`t feel bumps when i put my hand on it.

I would clay it (actually I`d decontaminate it but I`m guessing you don`t want to spend for that). The thing with white is *ferrous contamination* (AKA "rail dust"), little bits of iron and steel that get embedded in the paint during transit. These eventually start to oxidize/rust resulting in "rust blooms" that are both unsightly and obvious on white.

Claying isn`t as good a preventative as decontamination, but it can help remove most/all of this contamination before it starts to rust.

Claying is pretty quick, easy, and cheap anyhow. I`d go with the Mother`s kit or ClayMagic Blue.

akimel
09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Riceguy, let me offer a suggestion along the lines of Accumulator. Like him, I doubt you will need to purchase M105 and M205 at this point. Given that you have chosen UPGP as your sealant (good choice!), may I propose that you purchase a pre-wax cleanser that would complement the UPGP (i.e., a cleanser that is sealant-friendly). One possibility is Ultima`s Pre-wax Polish, but it sure is pricey. I use Four Star`s Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser to prepare the paint for UPGP. It`s made by the same company that makes the Ultima line, but it`s much less expensive and works fine with UPGP.

I applaud you for formulating a strategy for caring for your daily driver. You may find the following article of interest: Your Daily Driver (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505). I wrote this before I discovered UPGP, so one needs to revise it accordingly, yet I think the steps outlined in the article are of general value. Substitute your preferred products: e.g., for ColorX substitute your pre-wax cleanser; for the wax topper, substitute UPGP. You probably would not need the pre-wax cleanser as frequently as I suggest using the ColorX. I tend to use the pre-wax cleanser whenever I deem it desirable to clay the car. Also check out the cited videos.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Al

riceguy
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I didn`t know about rail dust, good stuff

akimel I bookmarked your article,

awesome thnx guys

tenorplayer23
09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I agree.....good advice.

I like the UPGP as a sealant & the idea of a cleanser to start with (especially if newer vehicles). Might as well go with the same mfrs. product line here. Also, definitely invest in the proper wash products & techniques to start with. And, as the above folks have said....if doing things by hand, you might consider that AIO product for "cleaning" things up, eventually (there are many.............but since you mentioned Optimum products, Poli-Seal is a very good one.......in fact, ONR or Optimum Car Wash are both very good, as is Optimum`s sealant, Opti-Seal. You can add or not add their wax. And, as far as a clay lube goes......ONR can be diluted for that purpose and works very well......just look throughout this forum).

But, as said below, check out the process & product videos and verbage on this (and other forums). That will get you set up in a hurry.

See ya. :wavey

Riceguy, let me offer a suggestion along the lines of Accumulator. Like him, I doubt you will need to purchase M105 and M205 at this point. Given that you have chosen UPGP as your sealant (good choice!), may I propose that you purchase a pre-wax cleanser that would complement the UPGP (i.e., a cleanser that is sealant-friendly). One possibility is Ultima`s Pre-wax Polish, but it sure is pricey. I use Four Star`s Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser to prepare the paint for UPGP. It`s made by the same company that makes the Ultima line, but it`s much less expensive and works fine with UPGP.

I applaud you for formulating a strategy for caring for your daily driver. You may find the following article of interest: Your Daily Driver (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505). I wrote this before I discovered UPGP, so one needs to revise it accordingly, yet I think the steps outlined in the article are of general value. Substitute your preferred products: e.g., for ColorX substitute your pre-wax cleanser; for the wax topper, substitute UPGP. You probably would not need the pre-wax cleanser as frequently as I suggest using the ColorX. I tend to use the pre-wax cleanser whenever I deem it desirable to clay the car. Also check out the cited videos.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Al

riceguy
09-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Are AIO products considered in the same category as colorX, meguiar`s cleaner wax, or pre-wax products?

Descriptions are similar on what they do

after reading a bit about waxes and cleaners, and comparing prices.

I`ve decided to try:

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish, topped off with Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845

Theses seemed good, long lasting, and inexpensive products to start with.

DrGonzo
09-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I recently used Klasse AIO topped with Collinite #845 on my white Toyota. It`s been a couple weeks and it still looks great even though i haven`t been able to wash the car since.

Accumulator
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Are AIO products considered in the same category as colorX, meguiar`s cleaner wax, or pre-wax products?

Descriptions are similar on what they do..

Yeah, they`re all in the same "does everything but not too well" category (that`s not intended as a criticism despite how it might sound).

I`ve decided to try:

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish, topped off with Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845

That should work OK. The KAIO won`t really do anything for marring (swirls/etc.) despite what the ad-copy says, so if/when you want to deal with that you`ll need an abrasive product. But until then you`ll like the AIO/845 combo just as DrGonzo does.

Heh heh, I`d *still* clay it though ;)

riceguy
09-13-2009, 08:09 PM
ill clay it just for u Accumulator

riceguy
09-14-2009, 12:05 AM
can you recommend some cleaners for my wheels/trim/rims? APCs?dressings?

thanks